Whats up now?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lexdigger

Reaction score
Don't take it personal. You gotta have thick skin around here at times. We all like to give each other a hard time, but you have honestly got the Best advice and pointers you could ever ask for. If you don't get any bottles out of the first pit, move onto the next. They don't ALL have keepers in them, but the more you dig the more you will get.

On the ladder front, I suggest a 16 footer. That and a bucket with a rope tied to the handle will get you and the dirt out of most privies with a lil elbow grease, possibly some blood, most certainly some sweat and maybe even a few tears.

Seriously, Good Luck and keep us posted!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Heavy clay soil? No problem with the blunt tips we use. You want to see bottles laying in a pit like this, from yesterday.
CIMG2935.jpg

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: barberman

quote:

ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

Do you want to know why I am getting a little short with this subject? because you contacted me through email,and ask me what I thought you should do. I told you what I think you should do" through experience", but you still ask the same question over and over on ABN.

I didn't expect a scolding. How about not responding to my posts?
Thanks everyone for the great advice/posts, I've got them printed out and in my Privy folder.

I am just telling you like it is man. I tried to help you.
If you look, I am not the only person that is saying "GETER DUG!" I AM THE ONE WHO TOLD YOU ABOUT ABN you should be thanking me for that. There are more people here that know the ins and outs of digging privy's & dumps then any place I know. So take their advice.Over and out.

Ps you don't need a privy folder you need a privy shovel[:-]

lexdigger

Reaction score
Yeah Mike, that was the only problem I had with the Lucky probe you sent me... couldn't get it in the ground. As soon as I met some local Long Time diggers, they showed me why. After I modified the tip it goes in and out like a dream. Even with the tip we still have to drive a spike into the ground to get a hole started when it's dry and hard. A lot of times we can't even dig with shovels till we hit the use layer. The clay is so hard it takes an iron digger to get thru it! Especially the Older stiff holes.

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Johnnie Fletcher put out a Kansas bottle book. I know him and he's dug all over Kansas and has dug a ton of privys, and has found a ton of bottles. I know two guys that dug Ft. Scott not long ago and pulled out some nice hutches. People dig KC Kansas, Leavenworth, Wichita, etc. and make some great finds. There's definitely bottles in them there privies! [;)]

~Tim

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bottlekid76

Johnnie Fletcher put out a Kansas bottle book. I know him and he's dug all over Kansas and has dug a ton of privys, and has found a ton of bottles. I know two guys that dug Ft. Scott not long ago and pulled out some nice hutches. People dig KC Kansas, Leavenworth, Wichita, etc. and make some great finds. There's definitely bottles in them there privies! [;)]

~Tim

"I still think people in Kansas didn't throw bottles in the privy, but I'm going to satisfy my curisoity and FIND one and dig the crap out of it!"

Why would you think people didn't throw bottles and trash in the privy's?

I am just curious of how you came up with these theory's

"Told him about privy digging and he was aware of it and didn't think it applied to this area of Kansas. (his opinion)"

Only listen to the probe not the plumber.

"I've accumulated many folders of information, bought 2 different privy books, Sanborns, Probes and permissions. Think I'm set!"

Nope your still looking at a depression with a probe stuck next to it. When it is dug to the bottom you will be set.[;)] If you wait until the water drys up in the ground,you will be waiting a longgggggggg time Just sayin

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Speaking of Ft. Scott, there is a KILLER embossed applied top whiskey flask from there. Chas. Nelson, Wholesale Liquors, IIRC. A friend here in Sacramento dug it and I may get it soon. Honey amber and heavily whittled.

BillinMo

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bottlekid76

~Tim

Ditto what Tim says. I was at the St Joseph (Missouri) show this past Saturday and met a digger from Topeka. He had a table full of bottles he'd dug in Kansas. Another digger was there from Hutchinson, again with a table full of bottles he'd dug in the area.

I'm sure any digger will tell you there are plenty of privies that yield nothing interesting. Just have to move on and hope the next dig is better. My favorite quote from a well-known insulator digger: "You keep digging and searching and finding broken stuff or nothing. Gotta keep digging until it drives you crazy. That's what makes it FUN!!!" [:D]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson