Where should I dig?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've always been told digging a still standing outhouse was a bad idea. Looks like you did good. When was the last time that thing was in use? LEON.

sandchip

Reaction score
Those kids are the future of our hobby. I hope at least one of them gets bit hard by the bug. Good going, David.

David Fertig

Reaction score
Hemi - There was an oak floor installed long enough ago that it was rotted in places. Yeah, that is what we all say - never dig a standing outhouse - but each case is different. Usually they are the newer privy if the house is old enough, but I have seen some early ones. Earliest one I can remember was probably from 1780-1800ish. Had strap hinges and a nice Suffolk latch. Small cupola on the top. Shame, but it was smashed before I got involved with the project. I also know of a couple brick privies. I take a look at them first. If there are turds and paper on the top, let it be. Sand - Josh really likes his bottles. You should see him at Balto. He buys like I did when young. Next he'll be making deals for the whole table. He likes to dig also, but we have not been able to find any place close enough for him to go without being driven there. And my time is much slimmer then I would like. I do try to get some of the kids to my job sites to pick around and they enjoy that also. A fun one I can remember was a house where the renters owed a bunch of back rent and moved out and left almost everything. I took everything out I wanted and then told the kids - "you can fill the Suburban, play with what you want and break what you want." Basically do whatever you want. They had a blast. The Sub was packed with toys, aquariums, and who knows what else. And they got so smash all kinds of fun-to-break things.

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Great post and photos. The polar star is pretty neat but my favorite is the hooker. The color in that one is great. Amazing finding all those small slicks then even larger slicks of different shapes. These folks believed in their medicines.

2find4me

Reaction score
Late Post, but here it goes:Carter's Ink History, more History, & a little more History.Bromo Seltzer History & eBay.John Wyeth & Bro History.Chamberlain's History, similar sold on eBay.Chas. H. Phillips chemical bottle, unsold on eBay.Sharp & Dohme History.Polar Star Cough Cure sold on eBay.W.H. Hooker & Co. sold on eBay, slightly different variant.The Monogram Bottle looks cool, what else is it embossed?B.F. Emrick 1859-1910, nice bottle.Keep Up The Great Digs!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey