Where to dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Kurlie

Reaction score
I live in Northern Maine and just yesterday I found the great hobby of bottle diging. I'm already hooked and I have no idea where I should be looking or where I can be looking! I would love to hear anyones tips or ideas on where to look for bottles!!!
Thank you so much,
Carly

maineahh62

Reaction score
hello Kurlie, i'll tell you what i do to find site's, finding old rock wall's and following them may lead you to an old home rock foundation, back in the day people dumped there trash far enough away as to not attract bear's and other form's of wildlife, walk away from the foundation and look for embankment's were thing's may have been thrown over, you may see old metal milk container's, old coffee pot's and wash pan's, this is were you will want your rake, start scratching around, year's of leaves falling on the ground make it impossable to see what is really there, i have found old bottle's just under the leaves, you can start digging into the embankment and root out any old bottles that may be left intack, you may find more broken bottle's than you do whole, i know when i go to northern maine i find old tote road's that were used for lumbering, i find alot of painted lable soda bottle's from maine, it's funny how you can learn more about your state from a walk in the wood's, old abandoned farm's are also great place's to check out, i go out about 50 yrd's and begin to criss cross the area looking for any thing that might signal a dump, as you know the first frost is a welcome site in maine if you like to get out in the wood's, good by to the blood sucker's, i have been working hard all summer delivering produce with no time for the wood's, but now with summer at it's end thing's are slowing down and it is time to hit the wood's before the snow make's it's way here, i hope some of this help's you in your quest for place's to look, good luck.

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Carly,
Welcome to the forum!This thread can give you quite a bit of info;

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Privy_Diggin%25%25%25%25%25%25%25%25/m_10528/tm.htm

And as Brian (Flasherr) suggested to your cleaning query,have a look at previous posts,there is a LOT of information in this forum's archives!

KAT

Staff online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn