Why'd you start collecting bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sandchip

Reaction score
I was 14 in 1974, and my sister and her boyfriend would always go out rambling. They came back to the house, and had found an embossed hobbleskirt Coke. He commented to me, "You know, they don't make them like this anymore." I thought to myself, "He's right," and ran out of the house, and found me one in the cowbarn. Something clicked bigtime that day, and I knew that was it until the day I leave this old world. No matter what I'm doing, I'm thinking bottles almost every moment, even when I'm asleep and dreaming. The only downside is that my finances have failed to keep pace with the bottles that I'm drawn to nowadays.

ratrodder39

Reaction score
For me it was finding that first bottle with my home town (Gordo AL) and just wondering how cool it would have been to be able to go down town and pull one out of a drink box instead of pushing a button and have it fall to the bottom.

wmccubb

Reaction score
My story is fairly new. My wife has always told me the story of how her Great Great Grandfather used to own a bottling factory here in Nashville, Tn. I always thought it was a cool story. Recently my Grandmother gave me a few boxes of old bottles from under the house...and I was hooked! I started researching old bottles from Nashville and stumbled across a few Diehl and Lord bottles. I decided to buy one and was showing my wife when she said " Diehl is my grandmothers last name!" Come to find out, this was her familys bottling company. Now I'm double hooked! I'm a history nerd anyway but now I'm finding family history while collecting bottles. Anybody have any Diehl and Lord bottles haha

LC

Reaction score
When I returned home from serving in the Armed Forces I took on the job of tearing down an old house for a fellow here in town . The home had a hand hewed log foundation . When I took up the floor I found old bottles underneath and it sparked my interests . Found crocks and other things in the attic as well . Went to see a friend I had not seen since I had been in the service to find that he discovered the original town dump while I was gone , at least 1870s as there was pontiled flasks and other bottles in amongst others . When I saw all of what I considered fantastic bottles he had I flipped out . That was a long time ago and I have never lost interest in the hobby . Got to do some digging at that time on the banks of the Ohio River in Cincinnati as well as a few construction sites but never hit pontil age . Had a blast with what I found , bottles dating from 1880s to around 1910 . Wish I could find a dump of that age today , would love to take another go at digging although it would be a little tougher on me now to do so lol . Oh , I did get to dig about two feet what was left of a wood liner in Cincinnati , found a few poniled sodas and open pontiled medicines . That was a real rush for me .

LC

Reaction score
Sorry , posted same thing above twice by accident .

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MotherMayhem