Wicker Covered bottle / demi

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

div2roty

Reaction score
I just got this partially covered amber bottle today. Deciding to take the wicker off of this one was easy considering only about 10% was left. Its a great looking amber bottle that is full of the wavy looking glass and is full of air bubbles. This bottle is 10 and 1/2 inches tall.

I wish I could get a better pic to show the glass.

Would you call this a demi or just a wicker (at least previously) wrapped whiskey? Do you think its from New England?

b_123815.jpg

b_123817.jpg

b_123820.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
Nice color Div, I would never leave the wrap on a nice colored bottle since I'm a "bottle" collector, if I wanna look at grass I'll go outside....[8D]

div2roty

Reaction score
Nice color Div, I would never leave the wrap on a nice colored bottle since I'm a "bottle" collector, if I wanna look at grass I'll go outside....

Ha, I can appreciate that sentiment, but I'm also an antique guy, I'd rather look at perfect 120 year old wicker than an unembossed tall aqua blob from the 1880s. I have some with the wicker still on, but if the bottle seems desirable enough or the wicker is damaged, I remove the wicker.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Pretty bottle, and pretty good question.. 10 1/2 in tall sounds about quart size, so, especially without the wicker, I'd call it a bottle.
I've never seen a definition of 'demijohn' that included a specific size, but I know from wine making that it's good to have a variety of different size demi's, cause when you don't want much air inside them during storage.. and when you grow and press your own grapes, you never know how much you'll end up with.
So, if it were sitting in the wine cave, it'd be a demi. On the display shelf, a bottle.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: div2roty

Nice color Div, I would never leave the wrap on a nice colored bottle since I'm a "bottle" collector, if I wanna look at grass I'll go outside....

Ha, I can appreciate that sentiment, but I'm also an antique guy, I'd rather look at perfect 120 year old wicker than an unembossed tall aqua blob from the 1880s.  I have some with the wicker still on, but if the bottle seems desirable enough or the wicker is damaged, I remove the wicker.
I understand from your point of view, me I wanna see the glass...[8D]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
quote:

I would bet Germany

Any reason why?

I have found a number of similar ones with schutz mark (trade mark) metal tags on the bottom of the wicker.
May come from other places but those are the only ones I have seen with any markings so far.

div2roty

Reaction score
I have found a number of similar ones with schutz mark (trade mark) metal tags on the bottom of the wicker.
May come from other places but those are the only ones I have seen with any markings so far.

That seems reasonable (and cleary there is no room for reason on this site). I guess I was just hoping it was obviously American because its so pretty.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Green Mountain Mom