Widemouth Case Gin

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
My son and a friend found a cobalt poison and pieces of old glass in a small brook. I went back with them looking for the source. Found a portion of the original Bath dump was there and had been capped over with topsoil in the early 1900's. The first hole I dug about 4 feet straight down I pulled out the widemouth case gin. We did find a few other pontied bottles later.The property owner was very friendly and let us dig there. We gave him some colorful bottles and sometimes he would bring sandwiches and cold lemonade down and we would explain what a lot of the bottles were and contained. We couldn't get him interested in digging but he told us to keep anything we wanted. Can't ask for better deal than that.

Cliff

madman

Reaction score
that is a beautiful bottle and story yes heaven!!! mike

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Cliff...

I was away on vacation when you dragged that widemouth out... It was truly great to see (and hold!!!) at Bram's Bottleshow in Sommersworth last April... I can't wait until the weather warms up a bit...

I just got back from Fla and the weather was great... too much wind and zero visibility, so my two days of dive charters were canceled... oh well[X(]

I'll just have to go to the Kennebec to do some cold water diving[&:]

Take care and tell Paul I said hello... Is he on the forum?

Wayne

poisons4me

Reaction score
That is amazing,what a great find,would have heard me for 3 states !!!congrats.

card

Reaction score
What a great find!! Can't get better than that!

tuppence

Reaction score
Hi Cliff
I'm on one of my rare surfs on the forum,and I come across this magnificent bottle.
The date you quote is about right, however it is not a wide mouthed case gin, but a so called seed bottle. Once in a while, on very rare occasions you might come across one in Holland
Apparently they were used to store precious seeds from one season to the other.
You might get some more specific information if you were to get in touch with somebody from the Dutch bottleclub http://www.deoudeflesch.nl/
Anyway, congratulations on a magnificent specimen.
Keep digging.
Mike

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology