Window bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Since there are only two windows in this old place with old fashioned sills, the bottles on them are constantly in motion. I move stuff around and add new pieces from time to time. I took these pics a few minutes ago under less than optimum light conditions. The liquor bottles are all related to my favorite category, J.H. Cutter Whiskey and the Pacific Coast agent, the A.P. Hotaling Co. The "bug" bottles speak for themselves. The missing space in the second photo is due to the bottle being cleaned. A cherry puce Lyon's Powder that I dug locally, it has haze that bothered me, so, in the tumbler it goes. The whiskies in that pic are different color variation of the same bottle, J.H Cutter/Old Bourbon/Crown motif/A.P. Hotaling & Co/ Sole Agents, all within a circle. Hence the nickname Circle Cutter.
windowbottles1.jpg

windowbottles2.jpg

woody

Reaction score
I can't say that I've ever dug any of those Lyons powder bottles here in New Hampshire.
They are beauties, though!!!!

buzzkutt033

Reaction score
beautiful display. thanx for sharing.

i took a photo of some color on my kitchen windowsill above the sink.......

3FBA8ECCB90244B587DD12ECC37FF344.jpg

Attachments

• 3FBA8ECCB90244B587DD12ECC37FF344.jpg
    3FBA8ECCB90244B587DD12ECC37FF344.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 64

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Nice pictures Mike good contrast.I like yours too Jim.I have deep window sills in my house and would love to put my
bottles on display there but two words prevent me Siberian Husky.My dog loves to climb up on to
the sills and sun himself.An original Booz bottle to him means nothing.I do have a stairway window which is out of his reach.
maybe that will be my first window venture.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Mike,

Man, I bet you have to grin everytime you pass by those beautiful windows and bottles. Beautiful "bug" bottles! What a cornucopia of colors...

cirlestarcutout.jpg

bama1

Reaction score
That looks great CALDIGR2! I must be losing my hearing though because I can't hear what the "bug" bottles are saying! Somebody help me out, what is a "bug" bottle? Also, thanks for the laugh Steve/sewell!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Jerry,

Mike has a great collection of Lyon's Powders, in a rainbow of colors. They look like this
e3aclx11.jht224_1.jpg
and can be seen in the uppermost rows on his windows. There's an interesting bit about them in the Long Island Antique Bottle Assoc Newsletter of June 2, 2005:

"First I want to thank everyone who made the May meeting, and also Kevin Kelly for his program on Bug Bottles.
Kevin’s program was quite interesting, and I learned a good amount about the area of Bug Bottle collecting. The range of colors that Lyon’s Powder bottles come in is limited to the rainbow. Seems than the proprietor of the company struck a deal with the glass houses of the day, and it went something like this. At the end of the day, there is many times a bit of glass left in the bottom of the pot. Instead of it going to waste, the glass houses would use it up making Lyon’s Powder bottles. This benefited both the glass houses, and the Lyon’s Powder Company. The glass houses reduced the waste and made a buck, and the Lyon’s Powder Company was able to get a reduced price on the bottles, as any color glass could be used. Rather clever!
Also, it is surprising that any bottles remain today for us collectors, as the directions clearly state that the bottle should be thrown where you see the insects and vermin, breaking the glass, and spreading the powder around, to control the pests. Perhaps not everyone followed the directions?" Found www.longislandantiquebottleassociation.org/news/jun05.doc

DSCN0040.jpg

Here's a small window with four common polishes, all dug on the same hill.

sarah_bernhardt_gallery_1.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1