Wow...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Ron, Probably has something to do with strenght, potency or alcohol content. Kinda like the dots on the bottom of some snuff bottles.

bearswede

Reaction score
I always figure a sale isn't final till you get feedback from the buyer... Here's what he had to say:

"I received the bottle today with no problems. I am so happy to get it. I already own the unlisted dark teal color of this mold and have a total of over 25 pontiled Townsend's. Your bottle has found a good home where it will be appreciated."

Now that's a done deal...

Ron

GuntherHess

Reaction score
references to variations of "I", "III" and "IIII" as well... Does anyone know the respective rarities, or what they signify?

Possibly marks to indicate which bottles a certain blower produced so they could be paid. I know Mason jar molds were often marked for this purpose.
I am familiar with the strength indication marks on snuffs and I wouldn't discount that explaination.

Here is the bottom of a very early snuff I sold that has two rod marks to show the potentcy.

Its an interesting subject.

Ay74240.jpg

Attachments

• Ay74240.jpg
    Ay74240.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 81

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Ron, Now can we get the lobster and southern champagne?[sm=lol.gif]

Webster's
south'-ern [-ern], adj. - cham-pagne' [sham-pan'],n. E,F
1. Jack Daniel's. 2. JD, no periods.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Congrats Ron! Sounds like you made a profit, the buyer is tickled pink, and most importantly..... the bottle has a GOOD home![:D] I only wish Tigermaple1855 could have had a good first sale. Maybe he will read this and know that not everybody buying on Ebay is a crook or an A Hole. Again, congrats! Kelley

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Ron, I see someone is selling a varient IIII townsends now. That isnt the guy you sold the II version example to is it? Probably just someone amazed by the price you got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-SLASH-MARK-TOWNSENDS_W0QQitemZ6253570119QQcategoryZ895QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bearswede

Reaction score
That isnt the guy you sold the II version example to

No, but the seller was the 3rd highest bidder on the one I sold, and our own Mike (earlyglass) is in on the bidding for this one... Good Luck, Mike!!!

Ron

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday