You wouldn't believe it if I told you, but I'll tell you anyways...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Yooper14

Reaction score
Funny! Yeah, I always check for silver, but most of those rare ones have been pulled out of circulation long ago. I hear stories of guys going to the bank and seeing an old lady come in with rolls of old silver to turn in, so they buy it from the bank, but until now I've never had my lucky break.

kastoo

Reaction score
So you don't sift your piles? I been meaning to sift mine but never get around to it.

Yooper14

Reaction score
Ahh! Good question! Actually, I very rarely sift as I go in the dump, just because it's so bloomin' big. I do go back and sift it later on, but this was not in a part that I had planned to sift at all because it was mostly clay and rusty metal...not much "little junk" like marbles and stuff, or so I thought!

Actually, since you brought it up, I do a lot of gardening as well, and when I sift, I dump the "big chunks" in a different spot and keep the rich, black dirt. I throw it in the truck and take it home. If I'm gonna sift, I may as well save some money on compost, eh! The dirt works awesome for the garden

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Tim, Great find. I always sift if it is possible. I have picked up a 6X6X6 box half full of coins over the years so now I will have to check for a 1916 walking liberty.

I did see a digging buddy dig a $5 gold piece. He was really excited and it took a while for him to calm down and dig again. When he did start digging again the first shovel ful turned up a $20 gold piece and a hand full of silver coins. Some folks get all the luck. I was only diggind about a foot or so away and dug up nada.

Yooper14

Reaction score
Cap,
Yeah, I'm generally a stickler about sifting. I sifted an entire burned-out home from the mid-1800s once. The dump Im doing, though, is so big that I don't sift as I dig...I do them seperate. I like to go out in the winter when the ground is too hard to dig. It's not as hard to knock a hole in my pile of dirt, and then I can sift away.

Yooper14

Reaction score
Oh - I was gonna say too that I've found a couple of old purse clasps with a little material left - I got real excited that someone accidentaly threw out their coin purse, but no luck!!

Yooper14

Reaction score
George,
I haven't sent it yet. Do you have a reliable one in mind

chrisp

Reaction score
Yooper , whats up with the coin?

any news?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members