Your Best Heartbreaker

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jim

Reaction score
Another view showing some other pieces. It was horrible to dig all of these bottles and ceramics broken, but things like this just go to show that there are still some really nice finds to be made.

I offer a very generous reward to anyone who finds me the Soult & Zerbe or Mrs. F. Bossinger in one piece. ~Jim

C38A510663AF40F0A3E98B2EF76E5E6E.jpg

Attachments

• C38A510663AF40F0A3E98B2EF76E5E6E.jpg
    C38A510663AF40F0A3E98B2EF76E5E6E.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 77

RedGinger

Reaction score
That yelloware... geez. Thought it was mochaware. That is a heartbreaker for sure.

Jim

Reaction score
Sure is [:(]. Even though it's usually broken, yellowware is one of my favorite things to find in the pits. We usually only see it in the older pits (1870s or earlier). I know there are a few nice whole yellowware pieces waiting for me somewhere. ~Jim

deepwoods

Reaction score
Caz, I live outside Rochester. The way I heard the story, the guy that dug those H Lakes was one of those old time purist diggers who just loved to dig old bottles and didnt care all that much about "book value" etc. Supposedly he found them under and stuffed in a bunch of old rusted out buckets and tubs. After he'd dug the seventeen or whatever it was he took four or five with him and left the rest at the site thinking a) they must have been fairly common, and b) he only needed so many. After he showed them to a collector, he was told they were very rare, so he hiked back to the site and retrieved the rest of them. Ya gotta love it. Whats great about rare old bottles is that it's not that uncommon for them to found in caches like that; which is why I fully expect to dig a dozen Lewis Cough Syrups or Wyncoops Cures at some point this year. Go ahead and laugh.

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Hi Doug, man what a gorgeous whiskey ! You dont get more beautiful glass than that. We just got a friggin slush storm today with more snow on the way :( How did you get 3 permissions in January!? or were they in the same yard.
I did a talk at a historical society last night, and got 2 permissions and some leads.
Bram

Jim

Reaction score
Ahh, SickRick's a good guy. He has a twisted sense of humor just like I do, can't hold that against him. We're all here to have fun, and even with the occasional bantering, there's nobody here that I really, truly don't like.

Matt, I have another similar plate that is more complete that came from the same pit as that one. I always thought they were PA-made. I'll try to find my pic of it and post it. Any idea on the age of the other piece? It came from a 40s-50s pontil pit. ~Jim

Jim

Reaction score
Here it is. I spent a LONG time picking through the fill for the missing triangles, but to no avail. It's still a decent reconstructed piece, and I'm glad to have recovered as much of it as I did. This and the other one in the previous post came from the very bottom of a 70s pit, but I'm sure they were late throws. ~Jim

B230521D72FA423396972BEAC85B25B4.jpg

Attachments

• B230521D72FA423396972BEAC85B25B4.jpg
    B230521D72FA423396972BEAC85B25B4.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 76

appliedlips

Reaction score
Bram,

Thanks.Great job on the permissions and helping out the historical society.My pits were leftovers,in other words they were newer pits that didn't feel crunchy and on nasty lots that I didn't have to worry about screwing up from chopping frost.If I dig the older holes on a lot and the owner is cool I'll put the newer ones off for a rainy day or skip them.If they probe "glassy" for a couple feet I dig them right away.The weather has been very crappy for door knocking lately,here too.

appliedlips

Reaction score
Nice stuff Jim.That Lewiston pontilled soda is a top notch crier.The pottery is great also,there was alot of beautiful yellowware made in Ohio,sadly it's always busted it seems like.You guys have some beautiful redware.

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
Jim, your slip plates look like the typical 1840s-50s Philadelphia style stuff. Now that doesnt mean a Philadelphia apprentice didnt move out your way and used the same decoration style. What are the sizes on the slip plates? I would also be interested in purchasing the slip decorated ones. Yes, you just read that correctly. The other bowl might be Central PA made and around the same time period. It kind of has a Bennington look.

Matt

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229