Another 7up Thread ... But Different

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
When the bottle arrived the upper-right portion of the label was already detached and so frail that I could barely handle it without the risk of it falling apart. So I treated it with an archival paper preservative and then laminated it in plastic to preserve it permanently. It turned out great and hopefully will stop the deterioration process. I also treated the portion of the label that was still on the bottle with the same preservative and will be taking some pictures of it later today. In the meantime, here's the part I laminated in plastic ...

Note: The entire label measures 2 1/2" High by 3 1/2" Wide. The red 7up logo itself is about the size of a postage stamp and measures 7/8" square.

7up Tyler Brothers Label (2).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And here's the bottle itself without the entire label ..

Note: I'm still trying to capture a decent picture of the symbol/number on the base, but I'm having some difficulty with the focus because its so small. I will keep trying and hopefully accomplish it eventually. I'm also trying to get a good picture of the NP on the cap, but haven't yet.

On a scale of 1-10, I rate the bottle a solid 9.0 with only the slightest scratches, but no chips, cracks, or pings. All in all its a beautiful example. What I find most interesting about it is its size and color. I have a circa 1937-38 7up acl bottle and the base diameter measures 2 1/4" and is a 7 ounce. Whereas the base diameter on the paper label bottle measures 2 1/8" and is obviously smaller than the acl bottle. I can't say for certain right now, but I suspect the paper label bottle is either a 6 ounce or 6 1/2 ounce bottle at the most.

As for the color, the glass of the paper label bottle is obviously green, but is slightly more transparent than the glass of a typical 7up bottle.

7up Tyler Bottle Front.jpg

The paper label is shown with the preservative already applied but is not noticeable.

7up Tyler Bottle Label.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

My 1937-38 acl bottle and the paper label bottle are the same height of exactly 8"

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
For the time being I've given up trying to get a good picture of the base mark and the NP on the cap, but I might try later. In the meantime I did this illustration of both. I'm still not sure if the base mark is an 8 or a Symbol, but the line definitely loops back over itself in the center as shown in my drawing. Most embossed 8s look like one circle on top of another without it overlapping in the center. There is no 'tail' on the 8/Symbol to suggest that it might be a cursive lower case 'g'

The NP on the cap is connected as shown in my drawing, but I'm still not sure what it stands for ...

7up Tyler Bottle Base and Cap.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

I forgot to mention I can lay the laminated label on the bottle and because the lamination is crystal clear it causes the label to look attached just the way it did in this eBay picture ...

7up Bottle eBay April 2016 Label (2).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Excellent. It looks like a 'one of a kind' so far.

iggy

Thanks

Now all I have to do is ...

Prove It!

Including ...

1. That it is in fact a 'Tyler Brothers' 7up paper label bottle
2. That it is in fact a 'Circa 1931' 7up paper label bottle

Which I haven't done yet by am trying my best to do! There's gotta be another paper label like it out there 'somewhere' but I ain't found one yet!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
For future reference ...

Tyler Brothers bottling plant locations as of 1958

7up Tyler Brothers 1958.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Their headquarters was located in Villisca, Iowa, but they did not have a bottling plant there - only offices, etc.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I sent an inquiry to the Atlantic Coca Cola Bottling Company in Atlantic, Iowa, which was founded by the Tyler Brothers in 1929. I wasn't able to attach any pictures, but the query did include my email address so they can contact me. I described my bottle and the label, and asked if they had one like it. I received a confirmation that my email was properly sent, which also said they would get back to me as soon as possible. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they will have the pictures and information I can't find anywhere else. I will let you know when I hear back from them. Here's their home page link that has some basic history and early pictures. The company is still operated by a third generation of Tyler's. Check it out ...

http://www.atlanticbottling.com/our-company/about-us

Here's a postcard of their Coca Cola plant that was built in 1940

Tyler Brothers Coca Cola Plant Atlantic Iowa 1940.jpg

And here's what the building looks like today. Notice the 'Tyler Bros. 1940' above the window

7up Tyler Brothers Building Built in 1940 Spirit Lake, Iowa.jpg

7up Tyler Brothers Building Built in 1940.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583