Another 7up Thread ... But Different

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
My (precious) paper label bottle is still in transit but should be here by Saturday. And no word from my dump digging friends, yet. I believe they had to travel to the location I sent them to and they might be staying over a few nights. But I expect to hear from them soon.

In the meantime, I have been trying to put together a chronology timeline for 7up paper labels and determine a transition from one label to another. The only problem is, applying a specific date to a particular label is a lot easier said than done. In fact, I have never attempted anything so confusing. There are so many different variations of paper labels that its difficult to figure out what's what. However, I did discover that a lot of paper labels have the following slogan printed on them ...

Seven-Up
Settles the
Stomach

For Hospital
or home use

... as seen on the amber bottle pictured below.

The earliest date I can find for that particular slogan is 1934, which can be seen in the attached newspaper ad. Even though inconclusive, this at least establishes that that particular slogan was being used at least as early as 1934. Which brings us back to the slogan on my eBay paper label bottle, which is ...

Drink After Eating -
Before Retiring -
On Arising -

And even though the search continues, the paper label on my eBay bottle is still the only example of that slogan I can find. That is, except for on the repro decals from the 1970s that claim that particular label is from 1931.

Amber Bottle with Stomach/Hospital slogan. Exact date unknown but used on lots of paper labels ...

7up Bottle Amber Paper Label.jpg

Newspaper ad with Stomach/Hospital slogan. Sedalia, Missouri - 1934 - Earliest I can find!

7up 1934 Sedalia Missouri (1).jpg

7up 1934 Sedalia Missouri.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Which is just one of the reasons I think the paper label on my eBay bottle might be pre-1934

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Regarding the Rare 7up ACL bottle that's currently on eBay and closes today at 1:pM Pacific time ...

I placed a bid of $200 but was 'automatically' outbid by bidder 1***3 (1180) who seems determined to win it. $200 was my max so we'll see what it ends up selling for. It wouldn't surprise me if it ends up near or possibly over $500 ???

Its currently at $202.50

Last edited:

Jbeas31

Reaction score
Regarding the Rare 7up ACL bottle that's currently on eBay and closes today at 1:pM Pacific time ...

I placed a bid of $200 but was 'automatically' outbid by bidder 1***3 (1180) who seems determined to win it. $200 was my max so we'll see what it ends up selling for. It wouldn't surprise me if it ends up near or possibly over $500 ???

Its currently at $202.50

Sorry I havent replied to your last post Bob. I will reply in the next few days. Congrats on the early paper label buy as well.
Ive been watching that one as well and had a couple bids in, but I'm out now. I think it will go really high as well. I say $350.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
What was so special about that one?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Possible one of a kind / only known example from 1937 with a never-before-seen back label that has all the goodies on it, including ...

1. Settles The Stomach
2. For Home or Hospital
3. Alkaline Reaction
4. Fresh Up
5. Never Stir

7up bottle iggy ebay 2016 Front.jpg

7up bottle iggy ebay 2016 Back.jpg

7up bottle iggy ebay 2016 Base.jpg

Jbeas31

Reaction score
Jblaylock. The bottle had a nice red 8 bubble shield label, embossed u7p neck, and a very odd back label saying with an ACL "frame" around it.

image.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
The label on the back of the bottle. Probably extremely rare. This is the only one we have ever seen. It looks to be from 1937.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Sorry I havent replied to your last post Bob. I will reply in the next few days. Congrats on the early paper label buy as well.
Ive been watching that one as well and had a couple bids in, but I'm out now. I think it will go really high as well. I say $350.

Jbeas31

Thanks - Maybe my paper label bottle will turn out to be a one-of-a-kind-only-known-example like your orange swimsuit bottle and the one that just sold on eBay. You guessed pretty close on the closing price for the 'back-label' bottle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles