Finding... & Digging?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

AiXeLsyD13

Reaction score
So, my cousins informed me that they see bottles & junk all the time while they're out hunting. Anyone ever find anything good this way? I might have to go with 'em some time.

Digging? So, I've seen that people dig in dumps, & privys, & what-not... Do you just walk up to someone's door, knock, and ask if you can put a hole in their back yard?[:D]

madpaddla

Reaction score
Here is some help. Welcome to the forum !
1. Find some glass. In the city you will find mostly privies, dumps are hard to find.
2. Lets try outside of Pitts. Find some glass while camping etc.
3. Here is some help on bottle age. This way you can tell if its 1920's or 1880's:
The seam line will tell ya . If the seam goes over the lip ABM 1910 or later, if the seam ends before the lip 1900 (BIM), and if the seam ends half way to the lip 1880's.
4. Once you know the age on the glass you can decide to dig that area. Either down or look around some more.
5. Enjoy it. Bottle hunting can be fun, lucky, or get ya really pissed off. All the same, the more ya know about the bottles, the hunting comes easier.
6. Once you get good at knowing the glass, then you get into searching the net to find old town, mills, buildings, etc.
Good Luck
Madpaddla

HunterGatherer

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AiXeLsyD13
So, I've seen that people dig in dumps, & privys, & what-not... Do you just walk up to someone's door, knock, and ask if you can put a hole in their back yard?[:D]
I have trouble figuring this one out myself. Trying to get started, need help understanding how this works. I mean, I can totally use a probe and I know how to put a hole in the ground, but I don't know how to progress beyoind poking through friend's backyards.

I still manage to find lots of bottles, though. Just, I'd rather sweat for them than bleed green.

lexdigger

Reaction score
As far as getting permission for privies in backyards, you need to come up with a pitch. Tell them what you're interested in doing and assure them the yard will be returned to it's original (or better) condition. I have the best luck in the rundown parts of town. Old people with backyards that need work will usually let you dig if you offer to clean the yard up some. It's a win win situation if presented in that way. If the yard is very nice, you will have to convince them you won't destroy it. Explain to them that you will cut up sod, use tarps, fill the hole back in, and replace the sod. You may even have to come back and do some touch up work after the hole settles.Photo's help alot and always offer to share the bottles with the home owner. Chris

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
One word I never try to say is the word (dig) hahaha Its hard to do but I try to use words that wont scare them, like collect, and locate, and remove. we collect old bottles, we locate the privies, and we remove the fill witch is not dirt, it is fill left in your yard from the 1800s, I have before and after pix to show them so they feel reassured that we know what we are doing,(most of the time) haha and some pix of bottles we have found on our digs,we have done some nice yards and some bad ones we treat them the same and always come back to check on the (sink) to see how far it sunk, then we put topsoil on as needed, and seed if needed, when you go to a door just say what's in your heart and if its a no roll on to the next house, its like your a sales man selling your trust, some times it works some time it dont. NEXT!! Rick

thats knockin101

HunterGatherer

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W
knockin101

I think the site needs a whole section devoted to this. Good pitches, bad pitches, stories of good pitches gone bad, etc.

AiXeLsyD13

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: HunterGatherer

I think the site needs a whole section devoted to this. Good pitches, bad pitches, stories of good pitches gone bad, etc.

Agreed. This is quite interesting. I don't knwo what I'd do if someone came to my door asking something like this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete