1800 WASHINGTON FLASK

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PATTY

Reaction score
Dont worry BRAD I am sure KOVELS would apricate that I defended them.
And if people are offended and dont want to to talk or reply to me becuase of an A AND B CONVERSATION> I DONT REALLY CARE what YOU THINK PERSONALLY !
If you can read ,I APOLOGIZED TO THE GENTLEMEN < SO why are you interjecting and starting with me? MIND YOUR BUSINESS, NOONE ASKED YOUR OPINION ANYWAY!!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
THAT IS AUSEFUL SITE, AND THAT IS AVERY HELPFUL TIP, THANK YOU, I APRCIATE THAT, I MEAN THAT IS THE INPUT I EXCPECTED FROM THE GET GO. I DIDNT THINK KOVELS WAS AUTHETIC . I THOUGHT THEY WERE USEFUL . SO WHAT ABOUT THERE BOOKS AND VALUES? ARE THEY NOT ACCURATE ON ANYTHING THEN? JUST A QUESTION? I MEAN BECAUSE ALOT OF ANTIQUE PEOPLE SWARE BY THEM, SO I THOUGHT THAT THEY WERE THE BEST. I DIDNT KNOW.

If you want to learn about early flasks I would recommend AMERICAN BOTTLES and FLASKS and thier Ancestry by Helen McKearin. It is considered the 'Bible' for flasks. A copy can be expensive to buy so I recommend check it out at a library. Any decent size library should have it.
Kovel's guide is generally Ok but it suffers from the problem of trying to cover too much in a single guide and has little detail.
Best of luck.

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi ben, i admire your ability to put things into perspective and into words. there are others that can express then selves very well. a gift i never had, but i'm learning that also from this forum. hope you get a good digging day soon. take care, rhona

madpaddla

Reaction score
Rhona:

Great to see ya again. I'm still coaching soccer here and we made the states for the first time in over 10 years. So the shovel will be full of dirt as soon as next week. I'm gonna finish up the dump I started this year...should be finished by xmas. Once again I hope all is well Rhona and lets chat sometime about your dump if ya want. I got a few ideas. Ben

texasdigger

Reaction score
You asked for all of our oppinions when you posted this thread. So it is a A-B and anyone else in the world with an internet connection conversation. I am sure Kovels will do just fine without your help defending them. Maybe I can fix all of this by making a fair market offer for your flask. $5.00 sound good? Listen to Matt he has authored price guides on bottles, and he is one of many people here who know bottles like you know books. Have a great day Patty, and it is nice to have such a plesant new member to our forum!!!

PATTY

Reaction score
thank you very muck, according to Brad I was Black Listed [:D] Well the top of the Bottle is not going to the top the line , and the lip is and coloring amethsyt . may I ask you a question? Is this site ok?
http://www.blm.gov/historic_bottles/liquor.htm#Decorative%20Flasks

I was wondering , because from that site , it seem to be very informative as well .It seems to give a this there
Purple/Amethyst
Purple and amethyst are uncommon colors in bottles but show up with enough frequency to warrant mention. This group of purple to reddish colors were usually a result of glass that was colorized with nickel or manganese oxides (Tooley 1953). As noted in the colorless glass description above, small amounts of manganese dioxide was used as a decolorizer to offset the iron impurities present in virtually all sands. This colorless glass will variably turn amethyst upon long term exposure to sunlight. With larger concentrations of these substances in the glass batch amethyst to purple glass is purposefully created (Jones & Sullivan 1989).
Because of this color's variability (and popularity with collectors) it is not surprising that there are numerous names for subtle differences in this color theme. They include descriptive words based on real reddish substances like claret, burgundy, red wine, or if tending towards amber, puce which according to Webster's Unabridged Dictionary (1996) is a "dark purplish brown to dark red." The difference between purple and amethyst is subtle, though amethyst is often a "pinker" color than purple.
Diagnostic Utility: These true purple/reddish/amethyst colors (not sun colored amethyst) in bottles are primarily found in the era between the 1840s and early 1880s; they are rarely noted in bottles that date before or after that date range (empirical observations).
The deep reddish amethyst colored bottle above is a Mrs. S. A. Allen's World's Hair Restorer (New York) which dates from the 1870s. Hair treatment bottles are one of the few classes of bottles in which the purple/amethyst colors are fairly commonly found. Other classes of bottles where these colors occur with some frequency (though still not commonly) is figured or pictorial flasks, bitters (particular those which are "barrel" shaped like the bottle to the right), and some types of ink bottles. The bottle to the right is an Old Sachem Bitters and Wigwam Tonic (New York) which likely dates 1860-1870. It's color would be described as medium amethyst. (This photo courtesy of Jeff Noordsy Antiques.)

#1twin

Reaction score
Hey Warren, Don't you love it when someone ask a question and then they insist on knowing the answer already[8|][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Sitting from the side line of this argument, I would have to say "Patty" was the rude individual. I recommend she find's another site to take her frustrations out on.... Wow she got so mad she forgot how to spell[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D] Man can we get laughs from this site or what?
Marvin

baltbottles

Reaction score
Patty,

If you are having trouble posting good clear pictures of your flask. Feel free to email some to me at baltimorebottles@gmail.com I will get them posted on here. Please include a good picture of the base and one of the neck and lip. If you send me Good pictures perhaps we can figure out exactly when and who produced your flask.

As for purple and amethyst colors being rare that it true for antique bottles however Amethyst is one of the most common colors that reproduction bottles have been made in also. Wouldn't it be pointless to make reproductions of common colored bottles?

Chris

PATTY

Reaction score
CHRIS,
Dont you have anything Better to do than pick on me? Is that you digging for bottles? (Just wondering) I won't go there. As for everyone else and there rude comments against me, this is a free forum, noone is paying for it, So I have a right to my opinion like everyone else. I had to defend my self. Nobody here even knows anything about me, and you are already PREJUDGIING ME> I think this site is Bias against alot of things and people

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4