7up 7oz Anomalies

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I don't doubt that may have been the reason, but like our friend CananadianBottles said, what a lot of trouble that would create to have separate bottles. What would the incentive be to return the empties, once they left the original location? Would a retailer or store refuse to give you credit when you brought a two dot in their store? If they thought they could keep those bottles returned at their original location it looks like that could be difficult as I would think alot of the drinks got hauled off from those pop machines, I don't know, head scratcher to me, thanks for the info shadeone!
That's a good point about what the incentive would have been to return the empties. Which makes me think now, how did deposits work for vending machine bottles anyway? Some bottlers like Coke I'm pretty certain didn't have any way to distinguish between the two. Were the deposits five cents in those days? That would be the cost of a Coke in the vending machine I think, so that wouldn't make sense if you could get the full cost of your drink back by returning the bottle. But the bottles were also too expensive for the bottler to warrant selling them without expecting to get them returned. Was the deposit something lower like two cents, so the cost of the contents would actually be three cents?

K6TIM

Reaction score
Have have any of you 7up collectors ever seen this before ? The 1957 bottle on the left has a bright red background as opposed to the orang-ish normal background. And the 1959 bottle on the right has as extra two dots on either side of the top logo. Any input would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
View attachment 236002View attachment 236003
I've seen this before on 7up bottles,but not that often.Nice find!-K6TIM

UnderMiner

Reaction score
I am the Director of Albion Field Station in California and when I can I dive for bottles in the river. I have found three bottles with shells from clams inside them that were long dead but the shells are still inside them. The shells are far too large to come out of the bottle so I have them in my collection that way. They are some of my favorite bottles. I have also found several bottles still full of liquid with corks in them.
Here is a bottle I found with a clam that grew in the blob. It grew until it took the shape of the bottle, could no longer open its shell to adequately feed, and starved to death (or so says my theory as it was already dead when I found it - it theoretically could have been dead for 100 years given the bottle's age and my finding it in an anaerobic environment)
20220413_235507.jpg
20220413_235236.jpg
20220413_235335.jpg

K6TIM

Reaction score
I've seen this before on 7up bottles,but not that often.Nice find!-K6TIM
The picture of your bottle is neat.I wonder though about the blob top lip looks as if you might of repaired it?

UnderMiner

Reaction score
The picture of your bottle is neat.I wonder though about the blob top lip looks as if you might of repaired it?
Nope, all my bottles are original found condition washed with soap and water, no professional cleaning or repairs. In fact if you look closely you can even see that 2/3 of the bottom base of the bottle is missing - cracked off some time likely due to freezing one cold winter. ^^

K6TIM

Reaction score
I understand what you said,but broken bottles are not worth anything ONLY TO YOU!

UnderMiner

Reaction score
[Comment Deleted]

Last edited:

M.C.Glass

Reaction score
I read that some Mountain Dew hillbilly bottles were ordered by different bottling companies licensed to bottle it. They had a dot placed above the neck logo so they could easily spot and pick them out of cases of empty bottles. I think the early “Charlie and Bill” bottles had them. It might be something like that.

shadeone

Reaction score
You are correct! I knew I had seen it in Mountain Dew land somewhere!
In the Mountain Dew bottle book it says the "dot was placed there so that the filling line could tell that it was a 10 ounce bottle. Tri-City had multiple size Charlie and Bill bottles and needed to be able to tell the size quickly".
Still though, that doesn't make sense for the 7-Up one shown here since it's not an odd size...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler