7up BOTTLES ~ OUTSIDE THE BOX

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This is mainly for Canadacan ...

7up Glass Sign Canadacan.jpg

7up neon sign.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
If you didn't think I was crazy before, you will now ...

7up Glass 7 (2).jpg

7up Glass 7 (3).jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
Hey thanks for posting that counter sign!... Very cool to see it was an actual patern of signs used.
But to see that bottom bottle!:cool:...... That is definitely a 7 !!!!!
I'm in shock to say the least... Lol
So the interesting thing is that it's on a 7 bubble bottle right? It would be nice to know the year of manufacture.

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
But to see that bottom bottle!:cool:...... That is definitely a 7 !!!!!
I'm in shock to say the least... Lol
So the interesting thing is that it's on a 7 bubble bottle right? It would be nice to know the year of manufacture.

Um, ah... Wrong! The top bottle and the bottom bottle are the same bottle. I photo-edited the bottom bottle and added the 7. Sorry if I misled anyone - I was trying to draw attention to the portion of the label with the squared-off overhang.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Uhhh oh... :p ..... Well good job on the editing...lol, I've been viewing on my mobile and the screen it pretty small, without the note that this photo was edited you had me!:D

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Based on what I've been reading, I have reason to believe it was Charles Grigg's son, Hamblett "Ham" Grigg, that designed the swimsuit girl label. Hamblett joined the company in 1929 at the age of 24 and is credited with having designed the first 7up Flying-7 logo. Because he was an accomplished commercial artist, its possible that he designed the swimsuit girl label singlehandedly. According to Ancestry.com, Hamblett was the president of his high school art club for two years and went to Cleveland High in St. Louis, Missouri. In 1923 at the age of 17 he helped design the school's yearbook, The Beacon. He was born in 1906 and died in 1977 at the age of 71 years old.

Here's a brief article about him from ...

The Holland Evening Sentinel ~ Holland, Michigan ~ August 14, 1969

(Plus the Flying-7 Logo he designed in 1928-29)

7up Article Hamblett Grig The Holland Evening Sentinel Aug 14, 1969 (3).jpg

7up Article Hamblett Grig The Holland Evening Sentinel Aug 14, 1969.jpg

7up Logo Green.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
That's a great link to 7up up info Bob. All I have too add is my newest 8 bubble bottle. (again it only cost me just 8$) Now I just need one with an 8 bubble neck logo.
7up 8 bubble with red iowa.jpg

Also, I did notice this, probably insignificant, the 8 bubble '7' is different from the 7 bubble '7'. I've noticed this on quite a few of them. I am sure it's meaningless, just a slight change in the ACL change from 8 bubble to 7 bubble.
7up 8 and 7 bubble comp.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
iggy

Nice bottle. It should date between 1936 and 1938. As for the difference between the bubbles, Bill Lockhart's article might have some info about the variations. Speaking of Bill Lockhart, I exchanged a few emails with him yesterday and he thinks I'm crazy. But he also said that he never gave it much thought and that anything is possible.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Speaking about anything being possible, hold onto your snorkels because I'm going off the deep end with this one ...

7up Glass Glasses (2).jpg

7up Glass Glasses.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR