7up BOTTLES ~ OUTSIDE THE BOX

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Just to be fair about this I need to point out that Speakeasy Girls weren't the only girls in town during the 1920s and early 1930s. There were also 'Swimsuit Girls.' By the way, did you know that it is not known if the 'Slenderizing Lady' was wearing a swimsuit or not? Some believe its just a silhouette and that she's not wearing a swimsuit. But I won't go there and will let the real experts figure that one out. But I thought it might be helpful to see what women's swimsuits looked like when the first ACL bottle came out in 1935. So here we go - pick the one you like best (even though most of them pretty much look alike)

1. 1931
2. 1933
3. 1935

Swim Suit Ad 1931.jpg

Swim Suit Ad 1933.jpg

Swim Suit Ad 1935.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Okay, enough of this swimsuit stuff - its almost time for the NFL playoff game between the St. Louis Chiefs and the New England Patriots. My son-in-law is at the game today and he said he is going to wave at us from time to time so I need look for him - which is another needle in a haystack that I'll probably never find!

:flag:

(To be continued)

Photon440

Reaction score
Wow, this is pretty interesting stuff, you're really sleuthing here! The largest swimsuit ads from your post #351 shows Sheila Terry in the bottom right modelling a suit, she was a small time actress who was in a couple of John Wayne films.

After reading all this, I was looking for the 'thanks' button. (I'm used to it on other forums). :fireworks:

bluegrassfan76

Reaction score
Thanks for posting! I collect soda bottles but have never seen one of these older brown 7-Up bottles. What is the date for those and where did you find them?

Michael

iggyworf

Reaction score
I've been away for 2 days. Bob you are really cooking on this. Great job. I like #2 the best. Funny note, lots of material in those old swim suits for a little money. In today's world the skimpiest of bikini's with hardly 10 threads to them, go for big bucks!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Reminder!

Prohibition was in effect between ...

January 16, 1920 and December 5, 1933

So anything related to 7up during those specific dates was during Prohibition. Which makes me wonder why 7up would be advertising anything related to "Hangovers" if alcohol was banned when these ads were published in January of 1932 and May of 1933? Part of the answer can be found in the following references, which are only two of dozens of references I have seen that talk about the same thing ...

"Prohibition banned only the manufacturing, sale, and transport - but not possession or consuming of alcohol"

http://www.1920-30.com/prohibition/

It wasn’t illegal to drink alcohol during Prohibition.

"The 18th Amendment only forbade the “manufacture, sale and transportation of intoxicating liquors”—not their consumption. By law, any wine, beer or spirits Americans had stashed away in January 1920 were theirs to keep and enjoy in the privacy of their homes. For most, this amounted to only a few bottles, but some affluent drinkers built cavernous wine cellars and even bought out whole liquor store inventories to ensure they had healthy stockpiles of legal hooch."

http://www.history.com/news/10-things-you-should-know-about-prohibition

[The names of this newspapers and dates are in the title text]

(To be continued)

7up 1932 Woodland Daily Democrat Calif July 23, 1932.jpg

7up 1933 The Hutchinson News Kansas May 19, 1933.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Side Note:

So called "Speakeasies" during Prohibition were referred to and even had signs out front that said ...

Soft Drink Parlor
Soft Drink Emporium
Soft Drink Establishment

Of course, they were also selling mixed drinks along with soft drinks!

(I'm currently searching for examples of those original "Soft Drink Parlor" signs)

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I'm still looking for Prohibition era "Soft Drink Parlor" signs, but wanted to start with this matchbook, which was described as being from a place during Prohibition ...

Prohibition Match Book (1).jpg

Prohibition Match Book (2).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Please don't think I've gotten so far outside the box that I have forgotten about the "Slenderizing Lady / Swimsuit Girl" because she is still a big part of my focus. Along with the Speakeasy/Prohibition stuff, I'm also keeping my eyes peeled to see if I can find anything that might have influenced the "Slenderizing/Swimsuit" motif/design on 7up bottles. One possible influence might have been cocktail sets such as this one - described as being from the 1920s, 1930s ...

Cocktail Set 1920s 1930s.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And, yes, it looks more like an "Ice Water" set to me, too! But I suppose it could have been designed to hold just about any type of liquid, including alcohol, etc.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2