7up BOTTLES ~ OUTSIDE THE BOX

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here is the so called mystery bottle from both ads side-by-side for comparison. I have examined them closely and am convinced they are identical stock images that probably originated from the same source, with that same source possibly being the 7up parent company. The odds of two different newspapers in two different states from two different years using the identical stock image seems slim to me.

Note: After opening the images, click on the 'previous-next-first' box for immediate back-and-forth comparisons and notice they are identical.

1. 1936
2. 1937

7up 1936 The Plain Speaker Hazelton Pa July 31, 1936 (3).jpg

7up 1937 The Daily Capital News Jeferson City Missouri Dec 1, 1937 (3).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
To Clarify ...

Where I said ...

"The odds of two different newspapers in two different states from two different years using the identical stock image seems slim to me."

I meant is ...

The odds of two different newspapers in two different states from two different years separately creating the identical stock image without them originating from the same source seems slim to me.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Because I'm starting to go in circles and not finding an official explanation for the introduction of the 7up ACL Swimsuit Girl label in 1935, nor what the curved white background with the squared-off lip might be, I'm going to take a break for a while and let things temporarily stand on the following three images and let them resonate for the time being as possibilities to what might have influenced the ACL label. I especially like these particular images because they are sequentially the earliest ones I can find.

1. 1931
2. 1932
3. 1933

7up 1931 The Burlington Hawk-Eye Iowa Dec 25, 1931 (466x750) (3).jpg

7up 1932.jpg

7up 1933 The Rolla Herald Missouri Dec 21, 1933.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This ad is especially for member Canadacan. I particularly like the wording "A Glass of 7-Up" and the image of the Slenderizing Lady on the right is the only one like it I have ever seen and think its totally cool.

From ...

The Winnipeg Tribune - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada - October 3, 1936

7up 1936 The Winnipeg Tribune Manitoba Canada Oct 3, 1936.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Lastly ...

Do you see what I see in the 1936 Canadian ad where they use the word ...

Stretch

Hmmm, I wonder if this is a clue to the origin of the Slenderizing Lady and explains exactly what she's doing? In other words ...

Stretching for Exercise

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Okay, "Breaktime" is over and its time to get back to work! :eek:

Actually, I'm just kidding, but I was going through my photo files and notes and discovered a few things I forgot to mention. So please bear with me just a little longer as I hope to have this thing fully wrapped-up before you know it. The first thing I forgot was this artist rendering of a 7up ACL bottle from 1949. It demonstrates that some commercial artist were perfectly capable of drawing a 7up bottle without it looking like a ten-year-old kid did it. Following this I have a few more tid-bits of information I forgot to share and will try and get them posted no later than this coming weekend.

[ 1949 Illustration - Not a photograph ]

7up Bottle Illustration 1949.jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
This ad is especially for member Canadacan. I particularly like the wording "A Glass of 7-Up" and the image of the Slenderizing Lady on the right is the only one like it I have ever seen and think its totally cool.

From ...

The Winnipeg Tribune - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada - October 3, 1936

View attachment 168724
Oh man that advertisement is killer!...I'm a huge fan of 7up..and in particular Blackwoods!..I had to save that add for my file, thanks for posting Bob...really appreciate that:)

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
CC

Your Welcome!

This next one isn't from Canada, but I bet you and others will like it anyway. Its my personal favorite.

From ...

The Sedalia Democrat - Sedalia, Missouri - February 3, 1936

7up 1936 The Sedalia Democrat Missouri Feb 6, 1936.jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
Yes that is a good one!....before I read I thought what the devil are those demons doing...having a swim?...lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski