Any book experts out there?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
89940a.jpg
I'm pretty good with telling an age and relative value of older books, but this box I've been given to research from where I volunteer (for their yardsale, I am to research a box on antique books) has thrown in a few First Editions (only one First Printing, though) and books valuing into the $100 range--No, I'm not using Ebay to figure prices. This one, though, has me stumped. The paper is a higher quality of the 1800s, it would appear, but there's no date in it and it appears to have been given a new cover at some point-- a long time ago, the original seems to be under what would have been a gorgeous new one. The Bible seems to also have brass ends, and a brass clasp. The final page, 800, is torn out but still in there. I found similar Bibles online, including this first page you'll see. The other photos are of the one I have beside me. We have till Saturday to figure it out. As a book collector, this one had intrigued me from the beginning as I love religious texts and it is definitely an older one. The oldest book in the box goes back to the 1860s--a German Bible. It's in pretty rough shape. I had almost asked to purchase this one. But from the similar Bibles it might be a bit out of my price range.
"You can attach up to one files here." What happened to attaching three?????

Attachments

• e745eb2372e74704add7fb4b3c3b9b29.jpg
    e745eb2372e74704add7fb4b3c3b9b29.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 73

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Why can I only upload one photo at a time? And then I have to re-save the photo, just to upload it?

Attachments

• 8fd47bf91774464795820b2593954a0c.jpg
    8fd47bf91774464795820b2593954a0c.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 69

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
My first two let me post after re-sizing. The third I had re-sized, but it wouldn't upload still. So, I re-saved it and it uploaded. :/
Anyone also know the value of "Sonnie-Boy's People" by Connolly, 1913. It has a plain, dark grey-blue cover with good binding and hardly dinged up, save for the top and bottom of the spine which has been crushed. I am not finding this one in it's original form easily. I'd only give five bucks for it, but who knows. Could be worth one, could be worth ten.
One book named the Polar Bear, "The White Bear," and says they survive solely on fish. A bit out of date, eh?

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I don't think this one is quite five hundred years old. They bought out a closed used book store. Those belong in a museum or very old Church. Also, it comes from a Pearl 24 month sort of thing. I am guessing 1890s, but still have no idea because they used a nicer quality paper than what I normally see. It shouldn't go back more than 150 years. I'd love to tell them they have a 500 year old Bible worth 4,ooo bucks. Heh. We had a real old Bible once. It was supposed to be given to my mom after her parents passed away. It got taken by someone else like numerous other items.
That's not the same Sonnie Boy book I have beside me. I can't go based on that version. Sorry.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Some real random stuff has popped up in my search. From things I won't mention and never wanted to click on, to learning about a school built on a pioneer graveyard--there are a few items in this Bible. One: "Clara Newell. / Hushing / Mich" Two: On a very old looking piece of a ledger or something, "Deut 4 29" which is a verse saying, "But if from thence thou shalt seek the Lord thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all they heart and with all thy soul."
The cover that was placed over the original one was creamy white with blue, green, and gold debossing in it. The 'new' cover has a plant design right of a shield saying, "Thy Kingdom Come!" on three lines. Brass runs along the border, and makes up a lightly damaged clasp that still works. You know, it is entirely possible and plausible this is the original cover--a stylized version for it. By moving away the brass, it shows that either the original is incredibly worn away, or it was just made to be covered by what would have been the gorgeous cover I see now. The spine actually appears to be real leather-- I'm been comparing it to two 1880s simulated leather spines. It says "Holy Bible" on two lines, in gold lettering, and has gold designs in boxes. The paper edges are in gold. This Bible shows less wear than my comparable gold-edged K.J.V. version from when I was a cub.
The first blank page is of a different kind of paper, oddly. A less-quality piece that is thicker. Same with the last. The writing style of the original(?) owner is very similar to a few signatures in the 1880s schoolbooks I have here. The paper quality is different, though. I'll show a photo of the compared styles. This means little, but writing styles change over time. There also seems to be a "96" penciled onto the final page in the lower right corner. Perhaps 1896? Really, though, I'm thinking 1880s-1890s.Looking up Clara Newell turned up little. Hushing, Mich. is a township. Clara's name has turned up in two 1880s newspapers, and an obituary from this year. None of these were from Hushing Township.
Okay, as this isn't functioning I cannot upload even one photo now no matter how I re-size, save, or anything it. Even small and as a .jpg it won't upload.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Uhh, what exactly are you looking to find out? It was clearly made during Queen Victoria's reign, and appears to be late 1860s-80s to my eye. I really don't know what you're talking about in regards to the cover/binding, but many well-used and well-loved books were re-bound back when books weren't considered disposable or a waste of space. It may have had the boards (covers) scrapped from another book/bible/ledger if they aren't original. Dunno what importance the names have, but local genealogists like to compile transcriptions from family bibles to aid in their research. I used to collect old bibles and have some rather nice ones, but since about 6th grade haven't been nearly as interested in them as I am in antique science/natural history/anthropology type books. That being the case, I would appreciate elaboration regarding the book referencing the polar bear. It might be a good one.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Just the age and any possible value. I mainly deal in older Westerns and Nature books. I do have a couple science-related ones. My most recent acquisition is one that targets alcohol and tobacco, circa 1898 I think it was. Pretty damaged, but I wanted one on alcohol and it was only 50 cents.
I was comparing it to other books in my collection and in the box, trying to see which dated ones it compared best to in materials. There's just one name. Ours had a family tree, but, alas, it isn't in our possession.
The book regarding the "White Bear" is a teaching guide of sorts titled "The Handy Book of Object Lessons. By J. Walker. First & Second Series." Published by "Jarrold And Sons." of London. Green cover, with gold and black debossing. It's pages are spotting, sadly, but is still amusing to look through. Part one--The Animal Kingdom. Page 12. They spell "show" as "shew" :/ "The white bear1 is found in the Arctic regions." "Why white? So that it may not be seen and caught easily." They make all bears out to be predominantly carnivorous, which is not true. They still made hair grease of us when this book came out. And our intestines make nice little windowpanes. Their fur is made into hats, coats, and gloves of Arctic inhabitants according to it-- not really; we're pretty dang-well respected over there. The Inuit name for Polar Bear means Animal Deserving Great Respect. "Bears are taught to dance by making them walk on hot plates of iron.9" Lovely. "white bears [feed] on fish." Now look what they say about the next animals, Wolves: "They generally associate in herds containing from 300 to 400." *Facepaw!* I like it where they say that an 'anecdote' pertaining to wolves is a "gentlemen traveling to Poland, whose life was saved by the shedding of his servant's blood." Do they really put so high a value on their worker's lives?

glass man

Reaction score
Go under ABEBOOKS..you will find a listing for the book /books you are looking for...it is very rare that a book will not show up there!! This place is for sellers..you will find prices for the same book ..but with varying conditions...editions et...BOOKS can be found from the very rare to very common..Your "SONNIE -BOY'S PEOPLE" is there for instance. It is a great place to learn about the prices of books!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday