Blank sodas

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

oaks6810

Reaction score
I dug these a few years back in a monster 20'x6' brick liner. I was told 1850's on the blue "IP" and 1870's on the green "key mold". Also are these blanks less common then embossed ones? Was also told the chips on the top could of been made from the person trying to pry off the top??? Any thoughts?

EB611D98287D4163AC30AFA9981AB53B.jpg

Attachments

• EB611D98287D4163AC30AFA9981AB53B.jpg
    EB611D98287D4163AC30AFA9981AB53B.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 45

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Oaks. Pretty bottles. I'm not sure that the blanks are less common, they certainly are less valuable because collectors identify with the bottlers and towns that were embossed on them. I can say from my own experience (at least) that blank hutches turn up far less often than embossed ones. Don't know if that hold true with earlier glass. Presumably, it was smart for glassblowers to make blanks for customers who needed bottles in a hurry (and could place labels on them).

It is fairly commonly believed that lip chips could have been caused by people trying to pry them open. Those bottles likely had Putnam style stoppers and they were corked. If the wire bail was removed and the cork was still lodged in the neck, something had to give to get to those tasty contents. Having said that, the chips could have occurred in other ways as well. While the chips may be typical wear and tear, obviously, it is considered damage, and it would be better for the bottles to have no damage. Hope this helps.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
In terms of dates, those seem about right. Not sure why the green is 'key' mold but hopefully someone else can explain it to me if it is.

oaks6810

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I figured the value was low, that im not to concerned with. The blue I like,, shows alot of whittle. Now that I think back and look at it closer maby the hutch is IP. ? No doubt about the blue being IP. Guess thats why Im here.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: oaks6810

Thanks for the info. I figured the value was low, that im not to concerned with. The blue I like,, shows alot of whittle. Now that I think back and look at it closer maby the hutch is IP. ? No doubt about the blue being IP. Guess thats why Im here.
No such thing as a pontiled hutch, I'm not sure what to call that one, both are nice though...

oaks6810

Reaction score
Ok thats what I thought , no hutchs were ever pontil. Thats were I came up with Key mold.. Its hard to see but the seem runs down the side around to the bottom?? My gut tells me its an early hutch.. You can sorta make it out in the pic, it runs allmost vertical in that pic.

antlerman23

Reaction score
I'd call the green one a "steamer" style soda, only because I have seen other similar shaped bottles called that.

oaks6810

Reaction score
Are you saying its a steamer style Hutch or is steamer style something completely different? Im confused???

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey again Oaks, The green bottle is smooth based and not pontilled. E said that there are no pontilled hutches. That is because no hutches were used until the late 1870s or early 1880s. Pontils were not being made anymore as glass blowing technology had advanced by then.

When antler called it a 'steamer' he was referring to a regional term used for that shape of a bottle (which is different than a hutch). My guess is that it probably pre-dated Hutchinson sodas so I would call it a pre-hutch. Some collectors don't like that name and use other terms like mineral water, etc...

MY guess is also that both bottles have some value as early colored sodas, (especially the pontil), but that they would max out their value if they were from small towns with rare bottler's names that were only open for short periods of time.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey