Bottle found in South Somerset Garden

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mollymawk

Reaction score
This weekend we removed a hedge from the bottom of our garden. We found this bottle buried in the soil. Its in good condition with only one chip in the glaze at the top of the neck. There is no label and only a very small insignia on the base. Does anyone have any idea what it was used for and how old it is?

Wu60367.jpg

Attachments

• Wu60367.jpg
    Wu60367.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 82

DOLANBADGER

Reaction score
Hello mollymawk ,
My guess is ,a lightning stopper, stone ginger beer bottle approx age 1910?

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Alick!!
Dolanbadger is right on with his estimate. I would keep poking around that spot to see what else you can unearth! From the background of your pic it looks like your in a spot with some age and history, and theres probably alot of hidden treasures right in your own back yard[;)]. Maybe Early dump spot or even old privies, keep poking around and keep the pics coming!!

mollymawk

Reaction score
Many thanks to those who responded. It was my six-year old son who found it and we will keep looking. You are right - the area is old - wi live in a late 15 C house but we haven't found any artefacts that old yet. Are you interested in sseing a picture of something that looks like a HP sauce bottle that we found at the same time?

madman

Reaction score
hey lets see that picture keep digging mike

mollymawk

Reaction score
You asked for it!

Work last week prevented any further excavation but my son and I began again this morning. The haul after cleaning is shown in the photo attached. It includes:

1 stone ginger beer bottle shown last week
3 embossed HP sauce bottles,
1 small blue octagonal bottle embossed with 'not to be taken',
1 large square based bottle with wide neck (extreme left)
What looks like a small milk bottle (extreme right)
3 very small, flat, clear bottles - the two larger are embossed with 'bisurated magnesium tablets'
1 flat, plain medicine (?) bottle (third from right)
1 flat, ridged bottle (second from right)

Most of the bottles seem quite irregular, have numerous flaws and only the three small, flat bottles has an screw fitting (two of these had badly rusted lids which broke off during cleaning).

I think this is quite a good haul. Great fun - bottle hunting comes a close second to birdwatching!

Unfortunately, I have had to close the pit as I am about put in a fence. However, we did look quite hard and I think we had the best of them.

Any comments on original use, age and value?

Db86232.jpg

grimdigger1

Reaction score
from left to right: pickle jar , 3 sauce bottles the stopper for one of them is to the front,,
stone ginger beer or stout bottle ,, spirit flask, polish or varnish bottle ,,pickle jar
to front 3 small pill bottles and a poison bottle
all glass bottles date to 1910 - 1920 but the stoneware is a bit earlier probably 1890 s
Not much value im afraid exept the pioson bottle approx £5.00
Nice to find items on your own property ,,saves driving all over the country for digging sites

snake oil

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum , mollymawk . Although your bottles don't have much monetary value , they're still nice bottles . You cleaned them up really nice , display them in your home somewhere , they're nothing to be ashamed of . For me , bottle collecting isn't about how much or how little my bottles may be worth , it's more about liking the bottles I have . [;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter