Bottles on The Monarch...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ronvae

Reaction score
I just got back from wreck diving on Lake Superior in 41F-45F water...had the time of my life! Of course, bottles had to come in somewhere, and when we dove the Monarch, in about 70 feet of water, there were bottles scattered around. Quite a few brown, blob-top beer bottles with bubbles & no embossing, one that was embossed "S. B. & G. Co.", which was Streator Bottle & Glass Co., Streator, IL (1881 - 1905), and another brown beer bottle with a 5 on the bottom and a very crude 8. Probably just mold marks. There was also a clear medicine bottle that said:
Foso Company
For the Hair and Scalp
Columbus O. USA
I did a websearch on that one, and found a bunch of links referring me to Fike's 1987 "The Bottle Book: A Comprehensive Guide to Embossed Medicine Bottles". Of course, I don't have this book--can anybody look up this bottle & tell me what it says? For the record, I just want the info for my logbook--it is a historic site in a national park, and the bottles are part of the debris field of a shipwreck, so I looked, and left them there. It was just fun to have my bottle hobby add a layer to my vacation...also, I can read about the wreck of the Monarch, and actually KNOW what the last minutes of that bottle were like, instead of just imagining it as I usually do.

Tony14

Reaction score
Not sure about the bottle, but your trip sounded like fun. Hopefully I'm getting my scuba licence soon.........

I might be going with my uncle. If I do, I want to head out to Lake Michigan.

David E

Reaction score
Fike 1987
THE FOSO COMPANY FOR THE
HAIR AND SCALP CICINNATTI.
O.U.S.A.

Lt Green 7 7/8" x 2 13/16' x 1 9/16" (See ALTHENHEM ) medicines)

Dave

Alehenhem shows
to be a medical dispensary Cincinnatti. O. USA
manufactures of the Foso Company hair remedies 548 & 550 Main, Cicinnatti
1894 to 1905.
same adress 1905 to 1910 Products advertised 1905 to 1910 and 1922.

Clear 8 3/4" x 2 3/16" x 1 9/16" Should have an M on bottom,
Maryland Glass
Dave

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday