build my own tumbler

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dirtflicker

Reaction score
If the machines are so easy to build, lets see some pics of all your home-made machines![;)] Do your home-made machines have two speeds (one slow and one fast). You will be using a lot of electricity if your machine only turns at 13 RPM's and your tumbling a round bottle. Lets see some pics of your machines!!!!!! Here's a pic of mine....

Qo41266.jpg

Attachments

• Qo41266.jpg
    Qo41266.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 83

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
I'll post a picture of mine tomorrow but you can't laugh at it. It doesn't look anywhere near as nice as yours but remember I only have about $100.00 in mine compared to $550.

capsoda

Reaction score
Mine only cost about $60.[:)] The motor is a flea market special. Notice the inline skate wheels On threaded rod, wooden base and hardware store parts. [:-]I change the speed by changing ths size of follower pulley. Cheap, economical, efficent and it does a great job.

Ec87652.jpg

Attachments

• Ec87652.jpg
    Ec87652.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 82

capsoda

Reaction score
I have some pipe plugs with the outside trimed off so they slide inside the pipe for short bottles.[:-] I can tumble 6 at one time by stacking 2 more tubes on top.[:)] There are 3 fingers welded on the inside of the bottom plugs.

Lj22768.jpg

Attachments

• Lj22768.jpg
    Lj22768.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 82

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Capsoda...

Nice job on the tumbler Cap... I have to say that I have wanted one for a couple of years now... Just didn't have the money to buy one from Wayne (the Jar Doctor)

I have so many bottles that need loving attention... especially after they come out of the water and my "muriatic acid" bath...

Looks like you got a real handle on this Warren. Hope to see you...

Wayne

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Brad, thanks for the idea, it works great.[:)]

Hey Tom, put a piece of pipe around your drill bit and it will make it alot easyer to handle the drill.[;)]

Pm34858.jpg

Attachments

• Pm34858.jpg
    Pm34858.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 88

dirtflicker

Reaction score
I must say capsoda, I am very impressed!!! WAY TO GO!!!!!! I am helping a friend build one right now. I tried to build my own but I couldn't get it as perfect as I thought I could (I am a wicked perfectionist) so I opted to buy one from the jar doctor. His machine runs nice and smooth, plus it is compact and easy to change speeds. They are expensive, however, VERY RELIABLE. And the product is backed by a lot of experience and knowledge.

DF

tombstone

Reaction score
Very nice tumbler. Would it be asking too much for a pic of your stopples? Would also like to know if you're using a 1750 rmp motor and diameter of your pulleys. I'm encouraged that you are using white pvc canisters. Clear pvc pipe costs more than $16.00 a foot, so using standard pvc pipe from a hardware store will shave quite a few dollars off the project.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hi Michael, Here are the stoppel pics. Plumbers PVC pipe plugs, plastic water tubing, sink connection gromet, spring, and some 1/4 in rod welded in place. It all came from the local builders supply. The motor is a 1725 rpm flea market buy with a 2 1/2 in pulley. I use a 5 in pulley, on the drive rod, for round bottles and an 8 in pulley for square or delicate bottles. It works fine. I will post some tumbled bottle, befor and after pic later on this thread.

Qo40361.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583