build my own tumbler

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

atdadump

Reaction score
Can you elaborate a bit more on the stopple that goes in the bottle mouth. I used the same idea but without the spring loaded idea. I machined a tapered tip with the back threaded to screw on the bolt. I tumbled about fifty so far but i did overtighten one hutch and broke it. Do you have any movement with the weight of the copper in the bottle? I really like your idea with the spring. Can you show a breakdown some time how it's assembled.

Ki18046.jpg

Attachments

• Ki18046.jpg
    Ki18046.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 83

capsoda

Reaction score
Hi Steve, No problem. The 1/4 in stainless rod, plastic tube and spring are 3 in long. The gromet is for a sink supply line. Weld the rod onto the stoppel. Slip the plastic tube over the rod and the spring over both. Slide the gromet over the end of the plastic tube.

Mk25139.jpg

Attachments

• Mk25139.jpg
    Mk25139.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 86

tombstone

Reaction score
I found a link through google that allows you to calculate rpm with different size motors and pulleys http://www.csgnetwork.com/pulleybeltcalc.html [:)]

By the way, thanks for the pics of the stopples, i think this thread is really getting into details that will help anyone considering building their own tumbler.

Windwalker

Reaction score
Have a question. Where do you get you wire. I went to home depot and bought a box with 25 ft at $9.00 and didn't get a pound when I cut it up. So is there some where cheaper?

JustGlass

Reaction score
Hats off to the tumbler builders, Ive always wanted one because I often have large access to old stain dug bottles but Im to cheap to buy one and as far as building one ...I cant even build a dam bird house. I guess I could sell the stained bottles cheap on ebay to you tumblers....Than you can clean them and put them back on ebay for me to buy...

Bottleman

Reaction score
Windwalker, I don’t know where the other members here get their wire but I would try going to a local electrician and see if he can help you. They probably would know where you can get wire for cheaper then the big name stores. Also, they probably have small scraps that they would sell you too. Let me know if you find a better place.

~~Tom

capsoda

Reaction score
I get my wire off construction sites where homes are being built. Ask permission and get there before the scrap scavengers. GET PERMISSION, there is a huuuuuge fine and jail time in some states for taking anything from construction sites. My brother is a contractor and I get scraps from him too.

If you would rather buy it go to the local scrap yard, it will be much cheeper than the building supply.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Steve, Could you machine those tips in different sizes with a centered pilot hole.
I'd be willing to buy some to test with my spring set up.[:)]

mudmonkey

Reaction score
Follow the link to see one that i built from parts from ebay for about 200,but i got the canister from the jar doctor

http://www.oldbottles.zoomshare.com/1.shtml/Bottle%20tumbler

Windwalker

Reaction score
Thanks capsoda and bottleman, I never thought about doing that. Been digging bottles for years and finally getting into cleaning them. Finally got the wire cutter down pat and next build the washer.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229