build my own tumbler

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

wvbottlehead

Reaction score
That's good advice Bottle tumbler, from now on I'm turning all my bottles on slow speed. My Jardoc machine is about 4 yrs old & the bearings are shot & the stainless bar is warped. I can't complain though because it's run 24/7. I'm wondering if it would be cheaper to buy the cheap pillow block bearings (any examples of longevity?) at a parts store, or maybe better in the long run just buy an economy machine from Jardoc for $125. I Just started looking & the pillow block bearings online are very expensive.

Frank

mudmonkey

Reaction score
I got my pillow blocks on ebay for 7.00 and are heavy duty http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7588718294&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Here is a link to the one i built with all parts from ebay including the copper.It was inexpensive http://www.oldbottles.zoomshare.com/1.shtml/Bottle%20tumbler

wvbottlehead

Reaction score
Thanks Mudmonkey, don't know why I haven't looked on ebay. I see the bar for $10 too. Nice job on the machine .

mudmonkey

Reaction score
wvbottlehead got the pulleys for 10 to 14 and the motor brand new for 60 dollars

Unidumper

Reaction score
Everyone on this thread, thanks for the ideas and direction. I have my tumbler built ( very similar to Mudmonkey's). Have built a copper cutter and connected with an electrician who does apartment construction and has been a good supplier for wire scraps. I think I'll buy a canister from the Jar Doctor before I try to build my own. Am wondering if someone could help with a recommendation on the size to buy. Most of what I have currently to clean are the larger patent medicines and smaller. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve

tombstone

Reaction score
a word of warning... copper coated BB's are not a suitable substitute for copper. There is some sort of chemical reaction that occurs that causes the canister to build up pressure. When the end blows there will be black gunk all over everything. Mine blew in the kitchen sink just as i was about to open it up. Had to shampoo the carpet, wash the walls and cabinets, repaint the ceiling, and buy new kitchen curtains.

On the other hand, I've had some success with plastic bb's. It takes several weeks to get the bottle looking the way I want, but it does work. I've got 30lbs of copper wire, but cutting it is a challenge. I'm trying the drill press but i must not be holding my mouth right cause the copper wants to bend around the bit rather than cut, and if i do get it fed right the drill stalls.

JGUIS

Reaction score
What about duck shot? Air nibblers? Beanie babies have nice plastic beads in them that I use for small neck bottles with clay in them, but I have yet to figure out a good cap system for building a tumbler.

JGUIS

Reaction score
Maybe I should have read all the posts first. Nice caps, Cap. What about using rollers from a copy machine? They're coated with 1/2" of rubber, and were free.

tombstone

Reaction score
For the stopples i'm using mechanical test plugs from Lowe's. These are designed to fit the end of the pipe so i had to grind down the big end to slide inside the pipe. A friend welded some metal to washers to complete the three finger stopple. I use these on both ends of the bottles. I tumble mostly round bottles like sodas, beers, and whiskeys so this stopple has worked fine.

Many of my bottles are only sick on the inside, in which case you put the cleaning stuff inside, slap some duct tape over the lip, pack it in newspaper and put it in the canister. This polishes the insides pretty good.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Josh, Those rubber coated rollers should work great. Saves time and you won't have to replace them every few weeks like friction tape.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles