Change in temp???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cobaltbot

Reaction score
There's been a lot of previous threads about glass being in flux and not really a solid or a liquid. I've had too many bottles develop cracks after overnight or a few days later that appeared mint when first cleaned. Also, like Chris said some defects don't show up until the bottle dries for a while. A lot of the time this has been my own fault for not letting them sit or soak before washing them up, putting too much stress in the necks when cleaning, exposing them to the sun, etc. Not just temperature is at play here but think for over a hundred years that bottle had been held suspended in the ground under force. Changes in humidity, temperature and pressure are very gradual until being plucked from the earth, wall cavity or whatever. Add up all these dramatic changes, including solar exposure and trouble can happen.

bottle_head9

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.I can say for certain that three of these are bottles I bought, and did not have any damage prior to displaying them.I feel by keeping them up high along with the changes in temp and humidity is causing this to happen.It`s upsetting because I didn`t hit or bang them.Thanks again, Tom

glass man

Reaction score
WE HAVE THE OLD GAS HEATERS ,NO CENTRAL HEATING OR AIR. TEMPS NEVER THE SAME. I HAD A MINT WARNERS TIPPICANOE SETTING IN THE WINDOW [BAD IDEA ,LIKE LOBBET SAID.,I KEEP VERY CHEAP BOTTLES IN THE WINDOW NOW 75CENTS AND ONES I BROUGHT HOME FROM THE DUMP ,NO BODY ELSE WANTED] I TOOK IT DOWN TO CLEAN IT AND THERE WAS A CRACK RUNNING ALL THE WAY FROM THE NECK TO THE BOTTOM OF THE BOTTLE![:-] SOMETHING I COULD NOT HAVE MISSED WHEN I BOUGHT IT! OF COURSE I TURNED A SUSPICIOUS EYE ON MY LOVED ONE! [NEVER ASSUME!] SHE LET ME KNOW IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS WASN'T HER. I FELT SICK ABOUT MY BOTTLE [LITTLE BAD BOUT THINKING IT WAS NINA] I GAVE IT AWAY CAUSE I COULDN'T STAND LOOKING AT IT! [WISH I HADN'T NOW!] SO I FEEL BAD FOR YOU![:mad:] IT IS A TERRIBLE FEELING I KNOW! AND MORE THEN ONE!![&o] JAMIE

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I remember last winter, enjoying a nice toasty warm fire in the wood stove, and hearing a "ping" from the general direction of my bottles... I knew somebody just cracked, but couldn't figure out who, until I packed them for moving.. it was a bottle that had the slightest little crack, about 1/4 inch long, for 13 years since I dug it up.. I also recently cleaned close to 400 bottles, and cleaned about 300 without incident, until suddenly 4 in a row cracked as I was cleaning them.. I couldn't figure out what had changed, so I just tried another one, everything was OK, and finished the rest, again without any damage.. that spooked me a bit, still don't know why that happened..

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
There's one soda bottle that we find around there that often comes out looking fine - put it in the keeper pile, then, when we're ready to go, it always had fisheyes on it somewhere. I wonder if it has anything to do with the type of glass sometimes as well. It's only the Bethlehem Ribbon Cokes that always seem to do this.

If digging deep in winter, when finding a keeper, I would suggest at least wrapping it in newspaper before sending it to the top, so that the cold air doesn't pop it.

madman

Reaction score
HEY KATE, IT DOES HAVE TO DO WITH THE GLASS, THE ORANGE CRUSH BOTTLES WERE ALWAYS WASTED IN MY TOLEDO DUMP, I THINK THE BURNING MAKES UM PING!

coboltmoon

Reaction score

I have had some glass brake from cleaning it. I had a nice Indian milk bottle that got tapped just right with a bottle brush and put a hole in the base. I had just finished cleaning a mason jar, took my hand away and watched and heard it crack before my eyes. I had just cleaned an art glass vase with a 2" thick base. Four minutes later I hear a crack and notice glass dust around the base. I picked the vase up and it was in two pieces. I had a demijohn that I barely cleaned the out side. I came back the next day and it was all cracked.

Glass can do some very strange things.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster