Date of minature whiskey

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Vaughn

Reaction score
I am trying to determine the approximate age of a Paul Jones minature rye whiskey bottle. Since the crown of the bottle is damaged, I am not interested in aging the bottle for value. However, determing the age would help to decide whether the site where the bottle was found is worthy of further exploration. The bottle was found on the surface, but I believe an old dump may be nearby. But, before going through the hassle of obtaining permission, digging, etc., I would like to age the buried dump by aging the bottle.
The bottle: The bottle is approximately 4-1/2" tall and weighs 3.7oz./104g. The embossing reads PAUL JONES, PURE RYE, LOUISVILLEKY. The embossing ring is the size of a U.S. penny with the left and right edges raised and the top and bottom edges somewhat smooth with the bottle surface. Since I cannot see a seam through the lip and I can see what appears to be concentric circles on the top, my guess it is an applied top. In addition, the bottom has a slightly raised circle with the letter M or W in the center.
I am fairly sure the bottle is pre-1920, but a pre-1890 date would make the site a more worthwhile dig. The site sits on an abandoned township right-of-way and the possibility of finding pre-1890 antique bottle goodies would make the hassles of obtaining digging permission worthwhile.
I wasn't able to track down any info on Paul Jones minatures. So hopefully, one of the ABF gurus can shed some additional light on the age of the bottle.
Thanks to all!
P.S. Hopefully the picture loaded up with an appropriate size. First time I have tried attaching a pic.

Jh17272.jpg

Attachments

• Jh17272.jpg
    Jh17272.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 89

madman

Reaction score
hey vaughn nice bottle,i also have found this bottle and was unable to find out any info about it ,i think its from the 1890s or so, but im just going by the seam,hey dig up that dump, i would ! good luck mad man

madman

Reaction score
heres the picture of my bottle ,hey everybody good luck with your digging! mm

Ca80342.jpg

Attachments

• Ca80342.jpg
    Ca80342.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 82

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads