Digging ethics how do you operate

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: sem_yeto

I'd been tipped off about by a local non-bottle person about an old ranch house that had just been torn down. So, I invited a digger-guy I'd known for quite a long time to go and probe n dig it with me. Well, while waiting for us to both get a free wknd, I found out a month or so later that the guy I invited went out there with another guy and dug it without me, shorlty after I'd told him where the fresh ranch demo was . They wouldnt even say what they found, but word later got out that they dug several pontilled cobalt sodas, some of which were rare misspelled variants.

Thanks for sharing
This is like an AA meeting lol
Wow what snakes! I would confront them,no way would I let that slide. As they say
"What goes around come's around,the corner when you least expect it" [8D]

glass man

Reaction score
Maybe always keep some strong rope on you and if you partner gets too many great bottles..tie his ads@ up..say you are so sorry and go down the hole getting the great bottles he was gonna get and get the great ones he has already dug...an hour later call 911 and say a guy is tied up at the location you were digging at.then,like a "friend" did to me ..take a bottle and would pay me latter and when I asked him about it he said it never happened![as I heard him ask his wife did she like the bottler he got from me!I told him to keep it[only 6 bucks!] but never to call or come to my house again!
..so say "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?:REAL INNOCENT![8D] JAMIE

madman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: CALDIGR2

Greed affects some people differently and their true colors come out when a potential high value site is found. It only takes being burned once by a fellow digger to drop them like a hot rock. Yes, bad experiences have probably happened to any digger with any time in the pits, as it were. Choosing digging partners is not always easy and good ones are rare in this day and age. Two fellow diggers have proven themselves to be above the greed fray and not "value oriented", but rather in it for the love of the hobby. It is a hobby, not a fleepin' bank account. Sure, we all like to find a great bottle, but that does not happen with any particular frequency. When it does the excitement factor rises, but we can't allow that to be the driving factor. We dig because we enjoy it. Every pit is a piece of history and should be cherished for what it is, and not excavated with the love of money as a driving factor.
ditto!!!!!!!!!

madman

Reaction score
ahh yes digging in others holes, fighting at dumps, that stuff happened when i was in the 4th grade lol,when i got off the hard stuff i found a dump and dug alone never had any problems, did have a buddy help out a few times and yes we had a few tiffs but are still friends, and then i moved down south lets just say its a little competitive down yonder but we all try to get along!

towhead

Reaction score
Well, not too many people are interested in bottle digging around here. Even when I get intelligence on some bottles, nobody wants to even go! And I kinda don't like to go alone. Geez, if you guys can figure out a good spot around here, it's all ours! -Julie

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: towhead

Well, not too many people are interested in bottle digging around here. Even when I get intelligence on some bottles, nobody wants to even go! And I kinda don't like to go alone. Geez, if you guys can figure out a good spot around here, it's all ours! -Julie

I am sure if you came upon a dump that was spiting ot blobs you would dig it alone.
[8D] if you really do find one,I w[;)]ill help you out

towhead

Reaction score
OK. Sounds great! I'm always researching. And yeah, yer right, if I really did find a good one, I'd be there at midnight with a flashlight! Heck with the wildcats and bears! -Julie

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
One of most memorable digging nightmares happened several years ago when three of us were probing at a California mountain gold camp. Myself and another friend had probed out a sizable pit that sat under the roots of a mature Cedar. At the time, we agreed to return when the soil had dried and the water level in the pit drained down. To make a long story short, one of the diggers called another friend who was never part of the probing team and they returned before either of us working stiffs could make it. The used the excuse that since we were working they could have the pit; They scored some very good bottles, several thousand dollars worth, and we were not even considered over the matter. That greedy bast**rd is persona-non-grata and has not been out with me since. When he calls I always refer to the "burning" incident and refuse to be associated with a dig involving him. You reap what you sow, and if that is beyond your comprehension I feel for you.

ktbi

Reaction score
Wow Mike and Sem_Yeto...I can't even fathom somebody doing those things. I also have to wonder if they live the rest of their lives with that set of morals. I love bottles and have been passionate about collecting for 40 years, but in the end - they're just bottles. If we dug a bottle and you wanted it - it's yours! Like you said, you reap what you sow and it would be paid back when the time came...Ron

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: ktbi

Wow Mike and Sem_Yeto...I can't even fathom somebody doing those things. I also have to wonder if they live the rest of their lives with that set of morals. I love bottles and have been passionate about collecting for 40 years, but in the end - they're just bottles. If we dug a bottle and you wanted it - it's yours! Like you said, you reap what you sow and it would be paid back when the time came...Ron
What if was a puce eagle
[8D]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday