Digging ethics how do you operate

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jim

Reaction score
No names mentioned (in the name of civility), but I have had to kick a digging partner to the curb. I held out as long as I could, because the guy could be fun to dig with and I hate to be anything but a laid-back and decent guy, but there is a breaking point.

We dug pits together. I ended up doing almost all of the filling of sunken holes myself, as he simply refused to. He helped with a FEW, but I had to practically break his arm and threaten not to dig with him again until he did. Many times, I bought bottles from this dude that I didn't even really want to help him with cash flow problems. He repaid me by spamming my website guestbook when I did not buy one of his bottles. He always wanted to change the rules of how we picked bottles when the method we had previously agreed on did not get him the best bottle so he could run and sell it.I gave him some decent bottles for his "collection", and he put them on eBay and kept the cash. Another friend and I had to fill holes and clean up a dump that he trashed, so that we could continue to dig there.

I bent over backwards to help this guy, but I guess he thought he deserved better. He doesn't have a job, is always broke and always in need of something. At first, I felt bad for him and considered him a friend. I slowly began to see that such was not the case. Friends don't pull the crap that he tried to pull on me. Others had warned me he was no good, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. The others were right [:mad:]

I have offered several times for him to call me if he really doesn't understand why I feel the way I do about him. He won't do it, and that's fine with me. He has lost lots of sales, as I will not buy a thing from him, and lost a good and faithful digging partner and friend. I hope the chance to throw his little tantrums was worth it.

Now, there are a few of you here who know this guy. No need to mention his name just for public humiliation. If he happens to read this, he will know who he is. I hope I never have to boot another digging partner. As much as this guy p*ssed me off, we did have some good times digging, and it wasn't an easy decision at first. The longer it went on, the easier he made it. ~Jim

glass man

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

ORIGINAL: glass man

I love you Rick..but it would have been so hard not to have grabbed that puce flask from you and run away as fast as I could...course I could run back then,but I am pretty sure you woulda caught me and buried me in the hole it came out of![:)]

I have always dug alone so me and me never had any trouble over who was gonna get what...but then I only dug house dumpps and the old town dump...would be different if I was digging the kinds deep pits yall do.JAMIE

You mean you never punched your self in the face because one hand touched a good bottle and the other wanted it lol
No but have wanted to punch mysely for puting a shovel rhight through a nice bottle cause was frustrated digging for hours and getting only slicks..b lowly slicks at that like a clear ketchup with nothing going for it...

digger don

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen Jim. Could this be the same guy ? If it is he's burning a lot of bridges.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: rockbot

I've had mixed results in the past so I usually dig alone or my wife sits by reading a book and fetches me a pail of water.[:D]

I had a friend return with out me on several occasions to this smoken town dump and bomb my hole. He pulled an Hawaiian poi pounder and a local gin and had no shame about it too. Sold the poi pounder for $700.00. Stop digging with him after several other incidents.

Had another digger roll a rock down on my head on a river bank dump. I was hitting a good layer and he was just an ars. Didn't really know him so to well.

Im LMAO rolled a rock on ya? man I would have killed him! [8D]
The wife fetching a pail of water,love it[:D]

rockbot

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

ORIGINAL: rockbot

I've had mixed results in the past so I usually dig alone or my wife sits by reading a book and fetches me a pail of water.[:D]

I had a friend return with out me on several occasions to this smoken town dump and bomb my hole. He pulled an Hawaiian poi pounder and a local gin and had no shame about it too. Sold the poi pounder for $700.00. Stop digging with him after several other incidents.

Had another digger roll a rock down on my head on a river bank dump. I was hitting a good layer and he was just an ars. Didn't really know him so to well.

Im LMAO rolled  a rock on ya?  man I would have killed him!  [8D]
The wife fetching a pail of water,love it[:D]

Yeah! [:D]
I got the meat head back a few years ago. A bunch of us was digging this sugar mill site and he had a nice hole opened up. I came that evening for a night dig,
yes we dig at night too... had to cause gotta work during the day... well he left his tools some what hidden near by so I after I finished up the hole I tossed in his gear. I bet its still buried a good four feet under.[:D]

xxfollyxx

Reaction score
Yeah! [:D]
I got the meat head back a few years ago. A bunch of us was digging this sugar mill site and he had a nice hole opened up. I came that evening for a night dig,
yes we dig at night too... had to cause gotta work during the day... well he left his tools some what hidden near by so I after I finished up the hole I tossed in his gear. I bet its still buried a good four feet under.[:D]
Colllld bllllooded

My digging partners father got us both into digging when we were 12yo. Never had a problem in 13yeats, keep what ya find. We do call each other over to good spots when we find them, and don't dig spots behind eachothers backs. If either of us go want to go with someone else, we bring them to a newer dump.

Only issue is that he's a little husky so privys can be an issue.

LC

Reaction score
I only dug with one guy . I hit a glory hole right at dark where we were digging . We took turns driving , and he was supposed to pick me up the next day for us to go and dig . I waited after work for him to show and he never did , so I drove on down to the city to dig my spot knowing I had hit into a dandy pocket of bottles . When I got there I found my so called friend sitting right in the middle of my hole surrounded by a pile of hutch and blob sodas as well as other bottles . I think some people just do not have a conscience or are just so self centered they do not even realize how low life they are . I never forgot that incident , and refrained from ever digging with him again .[/align]I can not say I am perfect , in the past I know I have let people down from time to time , but not once have I ever stabbed anyone in the back to benefit myself .[/align]

nydigger

Reaction score
I usually go alone. [:(]. Did get burned though. Met this local guy and went out with him and took him to my hole. We agreed to keep some and sell some and split it, as I was selling some stuff for him already. So he calls me and tells me that he went back and found some stuff, nice TOC stuff and some milks. I got oh yea I will bring it to you and we can figure out what to keep and what to sell. Other than the few pics he sent me the last time I saw the stuff it was sold already on the Bay. Never saw a dime or a piece of glass from it. I was never dishonest in selling his stuff he gave me, Took my 25% plus shipping and he got the rest every time, that was the agreement and I stuck by it. So I do not know why he did me like that. I would love to dig with other people who share my passion. But this experience made me so cautious as to who I share my areas with

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: nydigger

I usually go alone. [:(]. Did get burned though. Met this local guy and went out with him and took him to my hole. We agreed to keep some and sell some and split it, as I was selling some stuff for him already. So he calls me and tells me that he went back and found some stuff, nice TOC stuff and some milks. I got oh yea I will bring it to you and we can figure out what to keep and what to sell. Other than the few pics he sent me the last time I saw the stuff it was sold already on the Bay. Never saw a dime or a piece of glass from it. I was never dishonest in selling his stuff he gave me, Took my 25% plus shipping and he got the rest every time, that was the agreement and I stuck by it. So I do not know why he did me like that. I would love to dig with other people who share my passion. But this experience made me so cautious as to who I share my areas with

That's a shame man,how can people be so F#$%^&ed up??
Greed is the word for today."The greedy people will surface" how could you live with your self?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday