Dug some OLD stuff...Broken old stuff..

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I went back to a dump I found earlier...and found a pontiled bottom shard right off! I found lots of heartbreakers, like a sweet blue bottle that would have been about 9" tall and round....A panel from a bottle that read "American Medical Supply Co. New York." Before I was done, I found 4 pontiled bases..........Only one whole bottle was found, not by me, but by my digging bud Dave. A Carters # 7 ink, aqua colored. Not too special, but whole and not damaged.

Pontiled

Reaction score
Just a comment, from my personal experience... If you went back in time and placed 10 embossed, pontiled pieces in a whole and placed 1 unembossed pontiled piece with them, how many would survive today?

One, the unembossed pontiled piece, and that one would be cracked!

Maybe your lucky will be better...

IRISH

Reaction score
Hey Mike, maybe they where sadistic buggers who somehow knew someone would treasure there emptys in a hundred years to come [;)] broke all the good ones and left one plain one just to keep you looking [:D] [:mad:] .
I came up with that theory a few years ago after a day digging up a good range of rare and valuble Codd bottles that kids had knocked the tops off for the marbles [:mad:] after a days digging we had one mint plain one and three very common ones [8|], all the good ones where bung.

Aerated

Reaction score
TOO RIGHT!!.[:mad:]
Thats the trouble with collecting Codd bottles, marbles being such a popular game back then.I found that for every 10 broken embossed Codds you'd get one whole plain one.
Just as bad is digging a complete one, and finding on closer inspection that it has been "money boxed".This happened to me on a bottle that would have been the 2nd complete specimen known.After taking into account results from previous unsuccesful digs, Ive come to these conclusions-

*Unembossed bottles are INDESTRUCTIBLE (ring seal beers will survive anything)
*The more writing/distinguishing features it has the more pieces it will be in
*Coloured glass- refer to above

None of that matters, however when you dig a good pit & get some whole treasures![:D]

drjhostetters

Reaction score
Hey Aer...

Excuse my ignorance....what do you mean..."moneyboxed"?

[8|] The Doc...Dr J....[X(]

IRISH

Reaction score
They used to knock out one side of the groove that the marble sits on to make a slot then use it as a moneybox/piggybank.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229