Dyottville Glass Works

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gromit0299

Reaction score
I went to an auction today, where they had boxes upon boxes upon boxes of bottles. I wanted to take them all. A lot of pretty common hutches and medicines (I seriously think that Mrs. Winslow's is the alternate to CA Fig. There was one in every box). I found some cool ones, but my favorite of the bunch was this dark green (no doubt darkened by years of hiding in the ground), was this Dyottville Glass company bottle:

DD78632E33AE44349280D6F4CD423BF8.jpg

Attachments

• DD78632E33AE44349280D6F4CD423BF8.jpg
    DD78632E33AE44349280D6F4CD423BF8.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 92

Gromit0299

Reaction score
From what I can tell, just by briefly looking at the history of Dyottville glass works (had never heard of them before seeing this bottle today), Thomas Dyott was pretty hard core in regards to leadership over his employees:

"Observers of the abandoned lots and empty buildings by the Delaware River in Fishtown might be surprised to learn that at one time they were the site of a utopian experiment. Located just north of the old Gunnar’s Run (centered roughly where Beach and Richmond Streets intersect today), Dyottville began as a novel experiment in factory labor. In the early 19th century, Dr. Thomas Dyott initiated a new system of “moral and mental labor†in order to undercut European-made glass, which was of a high quality yet very expensive. For five years, he ran a company town that spanned over three hundred acres (most of which were taken up by his farm), employed and housed 250 to 300 workers at a time, and boasted 50 buildings, including a bakery, a shoe shop, a tailor, a dairy, a hospital, a chapel, and a school – for the “education of such a mass of human ignorance.†The Dyottville Glass Factories were established in the 1820s on land that John Hewson had used for his famous calico printing factory in the 18th century (in fact both men inhabited the same dwelling house). They were a presence there until 1923, after which Cramp’s shipyard appropriated the space.

...Dr. Dyott implemented a form of discipline distinct even from other glassmaking communities, which were often paternalistic. Dyott acted like a “strict headmaster of a private boarding school.†Though residents included men and women, he hired as many young boys and adolescents as possible because he saw them as untainted by poor working habits and the degenerate effects of alcohol. He imposed rigid behavioral control at all times. For the residents of Dyottville, each day—even Sunday—was strictly regimented since Dyott believed idleness to be the source of most social and psychological problems. “I adduce the fact, to show the necessity of avoiding idleness even on the sacred day appropriated to rest…that the day specially allotted to purity of thought and deed, stains our criminal calendar with more crimes than any other in the year.â€

More can be read here: http://www.philaplace.org/story/722/

Apparently this bottle was a standard with several different plates made. Mine is the D'Okane.

I couldn't find how common it was or a value. I'm typically a medicine and poison type of gal, so any further info would be great. Common or not, it's going on my mantle. [:D]

Attachments

• 8C39AC50F5A845969D93015D8F2DCF24.jpg
    8C39AC50F5A845969D93015D8F2DCF24.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 85

Gromit0299

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

I think you have a very nice bottle on your hands. Well, now your mantle. That bottle should be iron pontiled, let's see the base...

Very nice find, it'd be at the top of my shelf!

Looks like there's a few different versions out there, and Tod von Mechow wants to buy all of them! Email him at todvon(at)verizon.net.

I totally saw those links too!! Not that I've seen a lot of bottles, but I've seen enough to know that this one isn't as common. I don't think it's rare by any means, but I don't see too many like this.

Attachments

• 70AF4519990646DA8965F9530290EF7C.jpg
    70AF4519990646DA8965F9530290EF7C.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 100

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Bottles Flasks and Dr Dyott. (good book)
It was more like a cult then a bushiness. Strange strict rules. No cursing no smoking and no drinking. They could make the flasks but they cant drink from them [8D] ya gotta read the book.

Gromit0299

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I saw a guy at the auction, who may be on the forum, who was nice enough to let me bid on the bottle. So thankful. It's such a good looking one.

baltbottles

Reaction score
Thats a nice 1850s Philadelphia Porter congrats on getting it. I have dug quite a few different O'Kane bottles from Philly but I haven't found that one.

Chris

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL