famous people we've all met

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rockbot

Reaction score
Up late the other night, just scanning the boob tube I ran across the start of "Easy Rider". Old 1969 film with Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper and Jack Nicholson. For some reason I had to watch it as I had the opportunity to meet and have lunch with Dennis Hopper back in 1995 when they were filming "Waterworld". In person Dennis was a quite and humble man.

He was interested in astronomy so I gave him a tour of my facility. Pretty knowledgeable guy.

While having lunch I told him I thought "Easy Rider" was funny. I told him the only time I saw the movie was when I was a young fellow around 1976. He told me, well what would a young lad like yourself find so funny about it?

I told him, "well in the end, when you got shot off your bike!".... He looked at me with this serious expression on his face then started the most humorous chuckle I've ever heard. He said, " Yeah, I guess that would be pretty funny to a 13 year old".

Rest in piece my friend.

Stardust

Reaction score
Rocky,
That was a really neat story. Thanks for sharing.

glass man

Reaction score
That is cool TONY!![:)]...But if you lived where I do and it was 1969 and you had hair the was just over the ear lobes...you would have understood the movie better...the Police sat right across from our home so much even my mom wondered why..just paranoia?My friend whose hair was also long,for then and here,his Priest told hem he had over heard some Policemen talking about planting some pot on my friend so they could bust him![:-]

Kids at high school put the few of us down that were into the long hair thing..and in a certain part of the County we would have been killed in a much slower way then Dennis and Peter were in the movie!More in the style of JACK'S character ..

AS a matter of fact when I went to see this movie in the summer of 1969 people booed me and yelled out things about my hair..not after the movie.

The restaurant scene is so real showing it just exactly the way it was in the SOUTH at the time it still scares me!The smirks..the ignorance..the cliches..the fear...ALL JUST FOR BEING A 15 YEAR OLD WITH HAIR NOW CONSIDERED SHORT ...That was 1969 real and up close in the South.

This all changed once Southern Rock kicked in a few years later...but that was nothing or even the same "HIPPIE" thing as in the day of EASY RIDER...that had been long dead by then...

Sorry you sent me into a cold sweat...I never thought of Dennis as humble..He .Fonda [kinda]and JACK were many of our heroes..the first movie that wasn't a big joke and showing what it was really like back then..THANK YOU FOR THE STORY!!JAMIE

rockbot

Reaction score
Yeah Jamie I know. It final made sense the other night. Never got the message when I was young. Pretty sad to think that people can be so evil. I guess living in the Islands, the Hawaiians always had pony tails and you would not even think about calling them out on it. [;)]

Peace brother!

ORIGINAL: glass man

That is cool TONY!![:)]...But if you lived where I do and it was 1969 and you had hair the was just over the ear lobes...you would have understood the movie better...the Police sat right across from our home so much even my mom wondered why..just paranoia?My friend whose hair was also long,for then and here,his Priest told hem he had over heard some Policemen talking about planting some pot on my friend so they could bust him![:-]

Kids at high school put the few of us down that were into the long hair thing..and in a certain part of the County we would have been killed in a much slower way then Dennis and Peter were in the movie!More in the style of JACK'S character ..

AS a matter of fact when I went to see this movie in the summer of 1969 people booed me and yelled out things about my hair..not after the movie.

The restaurant scene is so real showing it just exactly the way it was in the SOUTH at the time it still scares me!The smirks..the ignorance..the cliches..the fear...ALL JUST FOR BEING A 15 YEAR OLD WITH HAIR NOW CONSIDERED SHORT ...That was 1969 real and up close in the South.

This all changed once Southern Rock kicked in a few years later...but that was nothing or even the same "HIPPIE" thing as in the day of EASY RIDER...that had been long dead by then...

Sorry you sent me into a cold sweat...I never thought of Dennis as humble..He .Fonda [kinda]and JACK were many of our heroes..the first movie that wasn't a big joke and showing what it was really like back then..THANK YOU FOR THE STORY!!JAMIE

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Cool story Tony, I'm sure that guy had more layers than people give him credit for.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Cool that you got to meet Hopper. Here is a young Dennis Hopper. Guess what show this is? No goggling [:D] Heil Hopper!

2DD556BAEC7A4CE1A77B9BD967848278.jpg

Attachments

• 2DD556BAEC7A4CE1A77B9BD967848278.jpg
    2DD556BAEC7A4CE1A77B9BD967848278.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 83

glass man

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: rockbot

Yeah Jamie I know. It final made sense the other night. Never got the message when I was young. Pretty sad to think that people can be so evil. I guess living in the Islands, the Hawaiians always had pony tails and you would not even think about calling them out on it. [;)]

Peace brother!

ORIGINAL: glass man

Like DENNIS SAID:That woulda been pretty funny to a 13 year old boy in 76!I had a different friend that worked 3rd shift in a cotton mill to help his mom pay bills...the friend also went to High School in the day[one of the strongest people I have ever known..but a shy humble guy.

One tome he went to the bath room at work and three guys in there started making fum of his hair..one pulled a knife and said he was gonna cut it off..but didn't and after they had their fun left him alone..if my friend had of fought..he could have easily beat the crap out of all three .

I knew another time when a man was gonna do this to a kid[this was later when long haired guys weren't as passive as they were in the 60's..well the guy come at him with the knife..but the kid had a gun..you know what they say about bringing a knife to a gun fight..the man was shot and killed..he didn't a lot of time because there were witnesses that told how the guy came at the kid with a knife first.

Of course by then it was no longer bout peace and love...just red necks that took drugs and grew their hair long,,my brother called them "HEAD NECKS",,,JAMIE

glass man

Reaction score
Also in 1969..the hippies in ATLANTA LIVED IN A SECTION OF PEACH TREE STREET

..ONE NIGHT A PICK UP TRUCK SLOWED DOWN AND FIRED A COUPLE OF SHOTGUN BLASTS AT SOME HIPPIES WALKING DOWN THE STREET [KINDA LIKE IN EASY RIDER] IT KILLED NONE OF THEM..BUT WOUNDED A FEW THAT WERE TAKEN TO THE HOSPITAL

..THE POLICE CAME GOT THEM WHEN THE WOUNDS WERE ABOUT HEALED AND TOOK THEM TO JAIL BOOKING THEM ON "disturbing the peace"!!!

JUST noticed the caps were locked..but before my glasses wroth like that all the time as some of you remember.JAMIE

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Wow this is really weird! Rock after I read your post I started watching the "Rifleman" with Chuck Connors. And who happened to be a guest star on the show?/ yep you got it a young Dennis Hopper. funny [:D]

5623B7A7503E455BBF7DCF4F4D3B8E4A.jpg

Attachments

• 5623B7A7503E455BBF7DCF4F4D3B8E4A.jpg
    5623B7A7503E455BBF7DCF4F4D3B8E4A.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 73

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese