Finally a chance for non acl/milk finds.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ironmountain

Reaction score
I was at the local flea market today. Very small one. Maybe 20 tables of stuff. Normally I can find cheap acls or some crockery, not much else.

Was speaking with an elderly couple who were selling coins and mentioned that I find enough coins metal detecting, but would really like to know of any places to dig bottles around here. The old man's eyes lit up and he told me about the creek that runs at the far edge of their backyard.

They live in near a small town with 1 gas station and 1 post office about 20miles from my house. He said there are all kinds of those "bottles with the little hole looking things in the bottom and those old junky medicine bottles" on the banks of the creek "so many of them you'd get at least 3 truckloads out of there just behind my house".

He and his wife told me to show up anytime, park in their driveway and let them know I'm there and they'll show me where they all are and I'm free to take whatever I want. Told them I'd bring my metal detector and show her how to use it so she can go digging. Needless to say, I'm heading over there tomorrow late morning.

They told me the history of the town they live near. It was originally centered around their property, but was moved to be near the railroads for the lumberyards and the iron ore cars. The hospital and pharmacy were on the spot where they live and next door. this was 1880.

This could be the first time I ever snag bottles besides acls and milks.

My question is this: What's the best way to get them out of there? Friend is bringing his F250 and I have 8 of those recycle bins with the flap lid on them. Any tips on packing them?

epackage

Reaction score
Bring alot of newspaper for the pontiled ones, if there are any...No need to take any chances you lucky dog...[;)]

ironmountain

Reaction score
thanks. I have quite a bit of old newspaper. I also have a bag of shop rags made of old clothes. Hopefully it turns out to be a good place. I might have to empty a cpl of the wife's rubbermaid storage tubs just in case.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey ironmountain,

Now there's a lovely invitation! Take your shovel and some scratchers and have at it.

I'l endorse the newspaper wrapping, and even plastic bags will work. There's a school of thought that says bringing boxes is Bad Juju.

Please take along your trusty Brownie.
220px-Hawkeye_brownie.JPG

Best of luck to you, and tell us all about it.

man-in-doghouse2.jpg

ironmountain

Reaction score
will do Surface. Luckily I'm out of boxes. Plastic bags sound good. Have hundreds of those things. If there are as many on the surface as he says, I might just be backing the truck up and filling me up some containers w/o digging the first time up there. I shall have my Iphone 4s (never thought I'd own one of those...usually a Droid-type person) and my Canon SX 110 IS for pics.

The easy part now is getting up in the morning and getting kids to school before we go. Hard part is going to sleep tonight...

thanks for the advice!

ironmountain

Reaction score
I agree Osia. Pics are a must. Think I have everything ready. small shovel just in case we have to dig a bit, gloves, rubbermaid tubs, recycle bins, plastic bags, newspapers, rugged "wife doesn't care if i get them dirty" clothes and an 1881 Indian Head Penny for his wife. Just to show her what can be found with an MD. I'm also bringing my MD so she can use it and let her get some fun time in. Least I can do for them letting me have open access.

Hope this pans out. Trying not to get too excited. Pics will be incoming either way.

ironmountain

Reaction score
Didn't have much time to spend there today. Friend had only a cpl of hours so we did the best with what we had. The foliage was horrid there. We were bushwacking our way through when the guy who let us on his property came out with his riding mower and cut a nice path for us. Found quite a few promising shards, and quite a few cobalt shards. The owner stopped mowing and pointed to a small hill that lead to a large flat spot. Told us that was the original hotel.

We made the climb and along the way I found a long hunk of clay sewer with a couple of shards in it. A row of 4 small cement trestles(?).. 3' high x 5' wide with a bowl shape in the center... We found an old incandescent lightbulb there. And more shards. Got to the top of the hill at the back corner of where the hotel lot would have been. Found a semi-rectangular mix of bricks and rocks covering something 4'x12' roughly. We started prying pieces apart and ended up getting some shards out of the small hole in the side where the rocks ended. (forgot to bring a large prybar to reef that open) Kept digging the small hole and started hitting shredded wood and some light ashy looking dirt...hoping this is the privy. We're going back saturday with the correct tools this time and remove that cap and see what's inside...

F523CCEA43794621879D6D74A109F29B.jpg

Attachments

• F523CCEA43794621879D6D74A109F29B.jpg
    F523CCEA43794621879D6D74A109F29B.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 65

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2