first insulators

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

downsouthdiggers

Reaction score
Got 2 insulators from a antique store today. One is armstrong no 9 and the other is hemingray 17. Will post pics later. Do they have descent value? I paid about $12 total. . .

downsouthdiggers

Reaction score
Yep, both clear. I paid 9 for the bigger one and 3 for the smaller one. I also got a can of bore cleaner for a gun from 44 probably a ww2 piece for $4 and realized some people sell em for 2.

epackage

Reaction score
No biggie on the insulators if you like them but truth is they're $1 each when they do sell....Jim

ironmountain

Reaction score
yah..had a guy on local craigslist who had 57 of them, he wanted 300 bucks "firm"... I mailed him and asked if he knew those were worth maybe 1-2bucks apiece? oh no, they're rare!!!! i'm like, if it's not uber old, not an uncommon color, not a huge brown one, or isn't purple with a wing nut look to it....it's most likely very common....he never replied..

http://www.insulators.info/

http://www.myinsulators.com/downtownseattle/project.htm

are two good websites about insulators...they guy from the second link was great about returning emails and such to me....

hope that helps..

downsouthdiggers

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I bought them bc a guy @ a local show was selling them for $10-20 each and they were going fast so I figured I would try it, lol

Brains

Reaction score
you just gotta' get someone to buy 'em, people will pay lots for insulators sometimes if they don't know any better. I once went to an auction with a cd-302 Muncie type and a little lightning rod insulator. (there were a few others too... but those didn't end up being too interesting for this story)
Guy next to me says:
"Watch, that one will go over a hundred bucks i bet" And i say "Eaugh.... maybe" (not wanting to say "No, it's only worht 40-50 and i wouldn't pay more than 30 for one")
Auction starts... 4 hours later, same guy pays over $100 for the insulator. Then some other guy paid over $200 for the little aqua slash top lightning rod insulator... i wouldn't pay more than $5 for one. auctioneer says, "Dang, maybe we should'a pulled more of them off the house earlier, huh?"
moral is, sometimes people pay to much for insulators.
and at least you got some WWII bore cleaner so you can clean your WWII bores, i just use hoppes No.9 in mine though

Bottles R Us

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but what do you think would be a good price for large, green insulators? I don't have a picture, as they're not mine, but I will be able to buy them in a week or 2.
I will describe them as well as I can: The top looks like any other large insulator, with that torpedo-looking top. It has 3 ridges below the torpedo part. At the bottom of it, the lip is really big, maybe twice the size of the top.
I really can't do any better than that for a decription.

Bottles R Us

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem