German Half post bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
It's very cool, but it just can't be very old.. can it?

48BB8279114A4286A19522833C590BBE.jpg

Attachments

• 48BB8279114A4286A19522833C590BBE.jpg
    48BB8279114A4286A19522833C590BBE.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 55

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Theresa,

Welcome to these pages, and thanks for bringing along the unusual looking bottle. After looking several times at your photos, I could not detect much, if any, base wear. This is something that I now look for, thanks to the knowledgeable folks who are eyeballing your bottle as we speak. Lack of base wear on a bottle of considerable age, is not a harbinger of authenticity, unless it has been slumbering in an attic like environment since first consumption.

IMG_1979.jpg
IMG_1993.jpg

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Not sure of the exact age of the object (1940s or 1980s?) but in my opinion it is DEFINITELY not a 19th century bottle. There are a number of threads that reference bottles of this type - I'd love for the sake of the owner for the bottle to be be period but that's simply not the case...

kungfufighter

Reaction score
FWIW this bottle is seen in any number of different colors - amethyst, olive yellow, yellow green, etc. It is not a reproduction per se (in that there are no known similar examples of the period) but rather a fantasy bottle (and a good one) that utilizes early glass-making methods to (falesly) recreate the appearance of an 18th or 19th century bottle.

hartmans2

Reaction score
"FWIW this bottle is seen in any number of different colors - amethyst, olive yellow, yellow green, etc."

kungfufighter would you mind posting an example please since there are so many in diff. colors? TY

Theresa

bostaurus

Reaction score
So where do you think these were made? To make them affordable it would probably have to be Mexico, Asia, India,or other country with cheap labor. Unless,of course, it was a place where people expect to shell out more money..like a tourist area. Folks shell out large amounts of money for glass in Venice. Understandable if it is well made Venetian glass but there is some that is cheap, poorly made foreign stuff at Venetian prices.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I know where you can find this form, if not exactly the texture/age of glass. And that is on the brand new American Bottle Auctions catalog that just came on the website today. I'll try to post the link to the exact bottle I'm talking about. Square, green, half post method (the one in the auction has a stopper), similar lip form... As close as I've seen, only the glass looks a lot cruder on the ABA example.

http://www.rtam.com/americanbottle/cgi-bin/SHOWITEM.CGI

I don't think you'll get much closer to a match on form and color. I don't think you can rule this one out as original yet. I've not ever seen a half post method recreation (but I don't collect half post, so my observation hardly constitutes authority).

Jim G

P.S. The link didn't work quite right. It's item 212 in the catalog. Let me see if I can post a pic.

hartmans2

Reaction score
I tried really hard to get pics . Is it me or is GREEN just hard to photograph? Anyways....I took a few more of the lip and neck and one just directly into the body of the bottle. This glass is fairly clear but not totally....FYI I think I made a mistake in trying to wash it? I can't get the inside to dry out no matter what I do. I've tried a blow dryer on cool and warm and also tried to let it rest upside down but the angle the bottle has on the top keeps the water from dripping out all the way. Sorry for the condensation on the inside.
https://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/hartmans2/IMG_2035.jpg
https://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/hartmans2/IMG_1975-1.jpg
https://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/hartmans2/IMG_2006.jpg
https://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/hartmans2/IMG_1990.jpg

botlguy

Reaction score
Theresa: I hate to be the bearer of bad news and always reluctant to burst ones bubble. But the truth is ALWAYS best. The problem with your pictures, I believe, is your light source. Flash is not the way to go. If you can back light through translucent glass or better yet sign grade acryilic with 5,000 K flourescent tubes or use bright cloudy sunlight from a side angle, that will give true(er) color. (All computer monitors see differently) However, I don't believe that will make the real difference.

There is just something not right about that piece even though it's quite similar to the auction photo. I know the auctioneer, Jeff Wichman, and he is quite knowledgeable about such items but he may also be led astray with the piece he is offering. I am not 100% convinced about that one either although it looks more authentic than yours. I would need to see both in person to be sure in my mind. As I said at the very first, I am simply giving my opinion based on limited information. Someone with some real expertise needs to view your bottle in person. Nothing substitutes for "hands on".

I used to have a German Half Post made contemorary item that I used for show purposes as a learning tool. The piece was made in Chechoslovakia (sp?) I think. I personally own a few "PITKIN" flasks made in the German Half Post style but they are of a much different form and really not good for comparison.

I sincerely hope I am wrong and that you find out it is an early, quality piece. IT COULD BE. I am just wanting you to make sure before you do anything with it. Find someone with experience in such items and try to get more than one hands on opinion. Good Luck

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause