Hand blown bottle with rounded bottom green (anyone know what this is?)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

studducci

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what kind of bottle this is and what it may have been used for. Anyone?

84C43C35159C41188E0BFA6B97BDE094.jpg

Attachments

• 84C43C35159C41188E0BFA6B97BDE094.jpg
    84C43C35159C41188E0BFA6B97BDE094.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 123

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
I found one just like it in a 1900 privy, that is a wine bottle, that had a wicker type basket around it, so it can stand up. the basket rotted in the ground over the years,here, is mine cool bottle.[/align]

18B4DEB082C64BC7B85833311BF3C7CB.jpg

Attachments

• 18B4DEB082C64BC7B85833311BF3C7CB.jpg
    18B4DEB082C64BC7B85833311BF3C7CB.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 100

studducci

Reaction score
THANKS SO MUCH!!! I HAD THOUGHT THAT THE MIGHT BE THE CASE BUT WASN'T SURE. BOTH ARE BEAUTIFUL!

jmatt10

Reaction score
Hey Rick, had a question
I am an excavator and have been collecting bottles for about 15 years but didn't know people did it to this magnitude. I come across bottles every week but I collect them because I like old things. I am new to this identification and worth of the bottles. I saw a show on T.V. about people getting old city records and finding wells and out house locations. How do you obtain these record and what do you look for. I usually dig installing infrastructures and we go down about 20 to 60 feet and I have found about 200 bottles in my years of collecting but it obviously is by luck when I do find them. Would really like to dig on my time for bottles where I have a shot at finding them.[/align]Thanks ahead for any info.[/align]James[/align]

madpaddla

Reaction score
Hello to the forum ! ! Great folks here. Check for old maps on google, sanborn maps, there is a ton of info just hard to find. Where ya from? And if you have a camera could ya post some of the bottles. There are super informative folks here and real nice people who really...I mean REALLY like to look at glass. Take care and welcome to the forum. Enjoy
Ben

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Hey James well first of all to locate privies we just go knock on door's haha may sound weird to the non privy digger, but that's the best method there is, look for an old house's in an old town, check the date of the town and when it was founded, and start looking, then when you do get a (permission) you throw your (sales) pitch in, why you do what you do, how long you have been into this hobby of collecting bottles, ect, show the people a few nice pix of bottles, some PR is always good to, getting in the paper ect,then you can show the home owner what you do, and why you love the hobby, then when that's done, you ask them, do you know any other people in the neighborhood with homes as old as yours?, and most times it snowballs, and your digging down the row of houses next to the one you started in, be nice ,be polite that's as easy as it gets, well some times that's hard for me Hahahah!! but any thing for (bottle's),as to your question about the maps and records, I have used them a few times but the yards we dig are narrow and not to hard to locate pits in ,so we dont use maps a whole lot,I but I am trying to get this one map for this one town and I cant find it,and the show you watched on tv was on the travel channel right? Yea I saw that one to, but that's a whole another subject, where do you live and what do you do for a living again? What ever it is I wish I had a job like that! finding bottles as I get paid! haha,what kind of stuff have you found? post a few pic's. RickJ

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Ditto on that Ben! This is the best site I have ever been on, I have been on many many bottle site slash clubs and man do people fight like dogs! on some of them, IM sure its here to a little,but we are human ,but from what I see this is the place to be for! Glassoholics haha Rick

jmatt10

Reaction score
Well first of all, Rick and Ben thanks for the warm welcome and you all are right, this is a great site. I found it through Google trying to find a timeline on a bottle I found the other day. Feels like I haven't slept in days I have been on here so much LOL. It is an old green whiskey bottle I think. It is half full with the cork still in it. I will post a pick of it tomorrow. Also will send a few picks of other bottles I have found. Can not Keep them all out because the wife doesn't share my enthusiasm for old bottles. I am originally from Port Jervis N.Y.,on the Delaware River But now in St. Pete Florida. I work for a small construction company as a track hoe operator. We do mostly all municipality work for the surrounding cities and almost always on the water.. That show I saw was on the travel channel. That's when I found that people actually put a value on this stuff. I Just collect cause I like the old days more than the present. And learning about the times. When I go searching for a date of a bottle I end up learning about the area the bottle is from. The other day I found an old milk jug (3 to be exact) that had Tampa Stock Farm Dairy co. and it was pretty cool cause I found out about the dairy and the employees and where they came from and there lives. Well like I said I will post some of my newer finds tomorrow, and also it is nice to meet ya. Glad to know there are others as strange as me out there, or close to it anyway. The guys I work with get ticked off when I stop and make them get a bottle out of the dirt for me. They cant understand what I see in old useless bottles. Me neither but I do, so I just go with it.[/align]

jmatt10

Reaction score
Oh forgot to say Rick, I was looking at your pics of the 22 foot dig. Pretty cool and alot of bottles
James

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAc