Help with Display Cabinets

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

digdug

Reaction score
I am in the process of finishing basement and want to display my 900+ bottles. I want to build cabinets with plexiglass front to protect bottles. Anyone have ideas or plans on best way to do this?
Thanks for any help!

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hi digdug-
I wouldn't use plexiglass, because over (a little) time, it will dull and scratches easily. Then you'd have to open the doors to view your finds. I use all glass on the ones I built and I'm making more. The cheapest way and I didn't do this, is to visit a salvage yard, thrift store, etc. first. Hopefully, you can locate large amounts of glass panels or enough to suit you and build from there. I routered grooves in 3/4" furniture grade plywood sections, top and bottom. This allows the glass to become sliding doors, without paying a fortune on the door hardware. Another thing to consider, is some sort of recessed lighting or some way to back light. I also went and paid for real glass (thicker with bull nosed or rounded) shelves. This also helps light pass through and you can view the bottoms of your bottles. I painted the backs and sides pure and bright white to show off the bottles coloring.
-Just a couple of some tips. Let us know how they turn out and a photo or two if you can. Good luck.

idigjars

Reaction score
I think you should go to your local glass shop and talk with the owner. Glass would be best over time. [:)]

Ryan

Reaction score
One benefit of doors, whether glass or plexiglass, is it prevents you from having to dust so much. I've known of a couple people that have broken fairly valuable pieces while dusting...

-Ryan

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
I agree with Meech ! Plexiglass scratchs much to easy , but if you still are wanting to use plexiglass you might consider Lexan ( I use Lexan in my race car windows to reduce car weight ) . It is much stronger and more durable than your standard plexiglass . But , as like everything else ..... it comes with a hefty price tag.
Glass is the way to go I believe ...... you can always do as Meech suggests and hit the salvage yards for glass panels. I was lucky , an inherited about forty 12" x 28 " molded edge double glass panels from my Grandfather . They make great shelves and I used single glass for the sliding doors. Here's a pic of the case.

Pn37415.jpg

Attachments

• Pn37415.jpg
    Pn37415.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 120

drjhostetters

Reaction score
Hey Brian...

Nice collection of bitters! BUT...what's this about race cars??? I am an old stock car racer myself...in fact I just brought home my newest car this last weekend and my wife threatened to kill me until I told her a friend was going to scrap it ( it needs some TLC but it's a pretty little '76 Buick 2dr post sans engine..((he blew it up last race...))) and he gave it to me just for towing it away...let's talk!

Keep on racin'...

The Doc...[X(]

drjhostetters

Reaction score
P.S. What is that blue tinted clear one in the lower right hand corner? Do you have an individual pic of it? Nice looking bottle.

The Doc...[X(]

drjhostetters

Reaction score
P.P.S. I guess you got three sleepers in there too...those clear ones are kinda camouflaged by the backgound... how about some single pics of those too? I like the clears and light green tints..They show the "bubbles" and imperfections so much better I think...

The Doc...[X(]

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi DrJ !
I don't know what bottle you are talking about in particular. But , the 3 Aqua's are a reverse embossed ( P 90 ) PHILADELPHIA HOP BITTERS and a ( U 18 ) UTICA HOP BITTERS .... Both Aussie Semi cabins. The third one is an Extremely rare American Semi cabin. It is a ( C1 ) C & C BITTERS // P.R. DELANY & Co. It is a similuar size and shape of the William Allen's Congress Bitters.
I no longer have these 3 in my collection as I sold and traded them. But , I believe I have some pics on disc somewhere . I will post them when I can find them.
Brian

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi again DrJ !
Yes , I Drag race ! I don't have any current pics of my Car.....It is currently getting a fresh coat of paint. Over last Winter I put in a fresh motor and added some fiberglass body parts.
Here's a pic of it in 1994 at the Bracket World Finals in Steele , Alabama. It's not a very good pic.....I took a pic of the pic I have on my wall. Brian
P.S. Yes Wives sometimes just don't understand us Mens need for speed ! LOL

Qo38664.jpg

Attachments

• Qo38664.jpg
    Qo38664.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 133

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member