Help with Hobbleskirt ID

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
According to well-known Coca Cola collector/author Allan Petretti, Harold Hirsch brought up the subject of a new bottle at the Coca Cola bottlers convention held in Atlanta, Georgia in 1914. Even though that may be true, the only thing I can confirm is that Harold Hirsch did address the bottlers at the convention. However, the only article I have been able to find does not specifically mention a new bottle. Petretti's comments are found in his 12th edition book. This link is to one of them that's currently on eBay. I have the book and will check it out to see what else Allan has to say.

Bob

Attachments

• Coca Cola New Bottle 1914 Convention Harold Hirsch (Allan Petretti Book 2008).png
    Coca Cola New Bottle 1914 Convention Harold Hirsch (Allan Petretti Book 2008).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • Coca Cola Convention Harold Hirsch_Atlanta_Georgian_Thu__Jan_22__1914_.pdf
    191.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Attached is the best version of the letter I have been able to find. Even though it's hard to read, it will have to do until a better example can be found.

I also found this that appears to be one of the early contracts for the new bottle. Because of the words "adopted or to be adopted" I can't imagine that it is referring to anything else except the new bottle.

May 12, 1916

Rock Hill Coca-Cola Bottling Co.’s 1916 Contract - Rock Hill Coca-Cola (rockhillcoke.com)

THIRD: Party of the first part does hereby give to party of the second part a license to use the distinctive Coca-Cola bottle adopted or to be adopted within the territory herein referred to, but said right shall end at such time as this contract is no longer in force or when it shall be terminated by the parties hereto or otherwise, provided, however, all conditions and terms of this contract are fully complied with by party of the second part.

Attachments

• Coca Cola New Bottle Letter April 26, 1915 (2).jpg
    Coca Cola New Bottle Letter April 26, 1915 (2).jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 34

SODABOB

Reaction score
Next Questions:

1. Were there Hobbleskirt bottles prior to the trial bottles mentioned in the September 19, 1916 newspaper article?
2. When did Rock Hill and other contract bottlers receive their first Hobbleskirts?

Inquiring minds would like to know!

Bob

SODABOB

Reaction score
I hit another dead end so I'm going to take a break until I find something substantial between April and September of 1916. In the meantime, the attached postcards are for those who don't know the origin of the term ...

Hobble Skirt

Attachments

• Hobble Skirt Postcard circa 1911.jpg
    Hobble Skirt Postcard circa 1911.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 36
  • Hobble Skirt Postcard 1912.jpg
    Hobble Skirt Postcard 1912.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
Close but no cigar yet. / Earl R. Dean book / Harold Hirch letter? / Secondary source

April 26, 1915?

Bob

I read that Harold Hirsch letter over a week ago & some other information on him. Which is why I made my post at top of Page 10 post #91. I'll see what else I can find out? LEON.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks, Leon

The post you mentioned were very significant and what I sometimes refer to as "one clue leads to another." In other words, it's one thing to know that something likely exists such as the April 26, 1915 letter, but even better when you can read the original letter itself. Even though I have done some considerable research about the hobble-skirt over the years, I missed the site that posted the letter. But that could be because that particular posting was in 2015 when they were celebrating the bottle, and I don't recall doing any significant research since 2015. Here's the link again where the letter is shown ...

https://ccbanet.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Bottling-Line_0407_2015_FINAL.pdf

There are two primary reasons for drawing attention to the website again ...

1. They give the impression that the text in the blue box to the left of the letter is the same text that's in the letter itself. But it's not! However, Norman Dean did get it right in his book. Compare the text from Dean's book to the letter itself which I attached. It would be interesting to know where the text on the website came from. Notice they put "quotation" marks on it as if it was a direct quote from Harold Hirsch. And maybe it was, but I'm not sure when or where it first appeared. That is something that I am also looking for.

2. The next part I want to draw attention to on the website is just below the blue box where it says, “bottle so distinct that you would recognize if by feel in the dark or lying broken on the ground.” Due to the way the paragraph begins they give the impression that that information is in the April 26, 1915 letter as well. But it's clearly not!

Maybe I'm just splitting hairs, but my impression is that the website, (which was authored by the Coca Cola Bottlers' Association), got some of the information wrong, and if not that, certainly misleading and somewhat confusing.

I will be back soon with more.

Bob

Attachments

281.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Coca Cola New Bottle Letter April 26, 1915 (Dean Book).png
    Coca Cola New Bottle Letter April 26, 1915 (Dean Book).png
    986.1 KB · Views: 31

SODABOB

Reaction score
"In the Dark"

By now most of us are probably familiar with the "in the dark" references associated with the hobble-skirt. One of the examples is found on the website I posted a link to. Almost all of the references present it as quote that suggest it was spoken and/or written by someone. But who was that someone? Despite what some people claim, it's definitely not in the April 16, 1915 letter. The best answer I am aware of is found in Norman Dean's book on pages 104 and 105 where it says, Thomas is quoted as saying ... (see attached pages). Which, of course is referring to Benjamin Franklin Thomas. Even though I suspect Thomas actually said that at some point, I can't find any documented evidence to fully support it - and is one of the many things I have been looking for. However, notice in the attached newspaper ad from Columbus, Georgia, dated October 29, 1916, where a similar phrase is found. I find it highly unlikely the bottler came up with that phrase on their own. They probably heard or read it somewhere. Hence, even though the ad is a little out of context, it's just enough to convince me that the phrase is legit.

"Parti-Colored Glass"

Even though the Parti-Colored Glass is probably not significant, it is mentioned in the April 26, 1915 letter. The exact wording is "having found a patent for parti-colored glass." I had to look up the definition, the majority of which defined it as meaning multi-colored. As for it being patented, that is even more of a mystery. I have added it to my list of things to look for and see if it did indeed have a connection with the hobble-skirt and, if so, what it is referring to.

That's it for now - the search continues.

Bob

Attachments

281.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Coca Cola New Bottle Letter April 26, 1915 (Dean Book).png
    Coca Cola New Bottle Letter April 26, 1915 (Dean Book).png
    986.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Coca Cola New Bottle Earl R Dean Book (In the dark).png
    Coca Cola New Bottle Earl R Dean Book (In the dark).png
    940.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Coca Cola Columbus Dark_The_Columbus_Enquirer_Sun_Sun__Oct_29__1916_.jpg
    Coca Cola Columbus Dark_The_Columbus_Enquirer_Sun_Sun__Oct_29__1916_.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
In the dark / Benjamin Thomas / Uncle Ben / July 25, 1913 Harold Hirsch letter / Sumpter, S.C. / 1961 article

Attachments

• Coca Cola Uncle Ben_The_Sumter_Daily_Item_Thu__Sep_21__1961_.pdf
    737.8 KB · Views: 73

hemihampton

Reaction score
When I read the Hirsch letter last week I believe it was from the original source dated 1915 & not a recent second hand retelling. BUT, I stumbled across it accidently while concentrating on finding other information. Unfortunately I did not save & now kicking myself. Not sure where I seen it as I read numerous Articles & ads ect., ect., As for the "IN THE DARK" & "BROKEN ON FLOOR" I heard one more saying that said "YOU SHOULD EVEN BE ABLE TO FIND THE COKE BOTTLE IN A COOLER FULL OF ICE & OTHER BOTTLES" meaning just by the feel of the uniquely shaped Bottle you should know it when you feel it. LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese