Hemingray and Dominion #42s

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ticoun

Reaction score
Saw some nice insulators up on a pole today. Two different brands, but funnily they both have the same model number: #42.
insulated2small.jpg

The ones with drip points are Hemingrays, the others are Dominions
dominion42.jpg

Closeup of one of the Dominions. Good thing I had my 300mm zoom with me!

Brains

Reaction score
model or mold eh ;)

Hemingray started making that style in 1921, then they made millions of them, while other companies made thousands of them... or maybe they made millions too. Hemingray, dominion, whitall Tatum (same factory or maybe company that made Armstrong and Kerr insulators) and Lynchburg (same as Gaynor... and there's gaynor marked 42's as well) all made a cd-154.

Oh, and on the west coast they had a McLaughlin cd-154 (154 is the number collectors give to that style to identify it- while all those companies made the same style, they all might not have used the same style# to identify them, so it's easier to use a cd#)

Dominion 42's can also be found with drip points. Hemingrays are usually aqua, blue, or clear, while dominions come in all sorts of greens blues and ambers, and some are a sort of two-tone colour. I have one marked with a <D> symbol that's some sort of ice-yellow-green- (which is very common, apparently) and a pink one (that's in pretty rough shape- also common eh)- lots of colour variation in those, i should grab some good lookin commons at springfield this year...

Those look like 1930's+ production.... maybe 1940's.
Newer hemingrays, and maybe Dominions, also have mold numbers on them, but maybe not 100% of the time

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583