Hobbleskirt Coke with 1916 date error

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Which means I'm back to ...

Attachments

• 757866c5c3ad4d81a2c7679734e9e9c2.jpg
    757866c5c3ad4d81a2c7679734e9e9c2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 87

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
However ... Because of the comparisons we did earlier which indicated the various error bottles did not come from identical molds, I am still of the opinion the number 4, which is on the base of every error bottle presented thus far, is not a mold number and most likely has to represent something else. And if not a mold number, the only thing I can think of that it might be is a makers mark or a plant mark. So I'm back to searching for glass manufacturers, both big and small, who at some point might have used a 4 as one of their marks.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. I'm also leaning toward the error bottles as having been produced prior to 1919, which is when the Coca Cola Company initiated certain requirements, including having the town/state embossed on the base.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Or ... The number 4 might have been the glass manufacture's code number for anything/everything they produced related to Coca Cola. Hence, I am leaning toward the number 4 as possibly representing one of the following ... 1. Glass Makers Number2. Glass Makers Plant Number3. Coca Cola Code Number

Canadacan

Reaction score
My gut feeling is still with Clarksburg, It states they made medicines as well as propitiatory bottles?We know they made Coke bottles there at a latter date under the Owens Illinois name, and were well equipped to make them during 1917-1919.But It must be tied into something in here http://www.sha.org/bottle...owensbottlecompany.pdfAmerican Bottle Co. completely controlled the manufacture of soda and beer bottles by the Owens machine from 1905 to 1929?...hmmm.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Dmellman said:
I will post a detailed picture of the mold seams later. The bottle has a Parison mold seam with a fading ghost mold seam near the base and a blow mold seam, and a neck ring parting line. The finish seam is about 5 degrees from the Parison mold seam and extends to the top of the finish on both sides. [ There are no suction marks on the base that I can tell.] It was most likely a semi-automatic blow and blow bottle machine. Interestingly, the Laurens Glass Works (LGW 21) bottle I posted has the same seams in the same orientation, same length, same degree apart, except the finish seam lines up exactly with the Parison mold seam. That bottle was marked as made in 1921. The coke bottle must be earlier, likely on the first installation of their new bottle machine (1919 maybe?) As you asked, on the base of the Coke there is no evidence of LGW at all. But the Porter article states the earlier bottles didn't have it. I will post pics later to show you what I am saying.

CC I've read the Owens article before and re-read it again looking for specific clues. I agree, if the error bottles were made by Owens, the most likely candidate would have been their factory No. 4 in Clarksburg, West Virginia. However, there are two important attributes discussed in the article that I feel need pointed out ... 1. Most if not all Owen's bottles were embossed with some type makers mark such as an O in a square [O] etc. 2. One of the most distinguishable attributes of Owen's bottles, which is mentioned numerous times in the article, is what the authors refer to as an "Owens Scar / Suction Mark." Because the "Owens Scar / Suction Mark" seems to factor into almost every aspect of properly identifying an Owens bottle, and because Dmellan stated earlier he could not see any indication of the marks (which I boxed in red above from his earlier post), I have to question whether the error bottles have the Owens suction/scars or not? If the error bottles have suction/scars, then I'd say there is every reason to believe the error bottles were in fact made by Owens. But if they don't have the suction/scars, then I'd say they were not made by Owens. Here's ... 1. The base of Dmellman's error bottle2. An example of an Owen's suction/scar Note: Owens Scars / Suction Marks are the faint, hairline circle on the base

Attachments

• 366a006f7a0e4af6851c42282210d398.jpg
    366a006f7a0e4af6851c42282210d398.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 90
  • f8d5788fa0b643d28bb3cfb8b9c09b06.jpg
    f8d5788fa0b643d28bb3cfb8b9c09b06.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 82

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
To clarify ... When I say "Made by Owens" ... I mean "Made by an Owens Machine"

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Dmellman : Owens suction scars should not be all that difficult to see. I suspect your error bottle either has one or it doesn't! What say you?

Canadacan

Reaction score
Hmm.. yes that is true in regards to the suction scar, that bottle base dose look like a BIM , and Clarksburg primarily used ABM or semi automatic. So the the key is to find out which plant would have done it in BIM at that time.Still gota be something Owens controlled I think?...this from the article sticks out to me, but dose not help?..I think[:D] Between 1911 and 1919, the Owens Bottle Machine Co. controlled a total of 17 plants, although four had closed by 1920. The Owens Bottle Machine Co. was renamed the Owens Bottle Co. in 1919.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
CC Reminder! Dmellman said his error bottle was machine made. BIM stands for "Blown In Mold" which means they were hand blown and not made by a machine. The good news is, if the error bottles can be determined as not being made by an Owens machine, then all we have to do is figure out what glass manufacturers did not use Owens machines around 1917-1919?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960