How old are you ????

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

drjhostetters

Reaction score
Norm...don't post anymore pictures of yourself...my wife just said in a sultry voice after I showed her your pic and told her you were the one who sent me the green bottle.."Oh he's handsome!" She's never told ME that! (of course I've never sent her a green bottle either..hmmmm?)[&:]

Oh well, some have it others don't...and I'm still looking thru my collection for just the right bottle for you..in fact the wife had me cleaning the garage today and between rescuing my stuff she kept throwing in the trash and looking thru my stored collection I actually found a couple of possibles...will keep you posted...and maybe you could tell my wife that was a picture of your nephew or someone..ok?[;)]

[8|]

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
HaHa
I don't know whether to be insulted by Harry's analysis or not ????? I'm just an Ole' Hillbilly and He's talking above my head . LOL I simply asked everyones age because of all the posts saying I'm so old and forgetful...I'm not as young as I used to be .....I can't do that anymore like I used to be able to... ect. ect.

I just thought it would be interesting to see the age of some of the forum members....and I apologize if it offended anyone. Thanks everybody for the great response to my question. Happy Diggin' !

deepwoods

Reaction score
Norm- Very well said. Ill go a little further and say that for me at least theres something downright mystical about unearthing-resurrecting? 'things' that formally were lost in time; especially when the object still retains the personality and quirkiness that people seemed in more 'hands on' times to put into things;whether its an old button with masonic motifs, a doll face some little girl loved once,or some crazy Prof.So n Sos patent medicine bottle.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
The fact that you asked the question is not important, Brian. What's interesting is that some men are willing, even eager to answer.

I think that people, even males, have a need to self-disclose, to stand up and say (in effect), "Look at me, I am significant! I have talent (or good looks, or money, or a big IQ)!"

But, most of us have been trained from childhood to be modest, to tame our ego, to be egalitarian. This training, in one form or another, happens to all of us as children.

And so, when we grow up and become autonomous, we have this residual internal conflict between the need to be recognized as a significant human-being versus the need to be modest.

This conflict drives some people to achieve "success," to do great things sometimes. Achievement with modesty satisfies both needs.

We tend to dislike those who disregard that early training and operate on the basis of "Look at me, I am great!" Even when these folks achieve significant things, we still don't like their "inflated egos." That is our own early training speaking to us.

The modest majority among us satisfy our need to self-disclose by doing it selectively within a relationship built on trust. Even self-disclosure in this manner has rules or conventions. [See the footnotes for more about these rules.]

Then, along comes the Internet with its chatrooms and forums! When anonymity is the standard, the balance between need for self-disclosure and the need for modesty can be upset. The constraints of early training may operate less well. Typical behaviorial brakes such as "What would my family/friends/co-workers think?" or "Will this guy punch me in the nose?" no longer operate.

Sometimes the lack of sanctions on the Internet results in unbridled anger, "flames," as Deepwoods finds on his political forum. Sometimes it is just harmless self-disclosure to strangers who have their own ego-needs -- sort of like anonymous sex in a dark room; it feels good for a few moments, but it means nothing.

Me, I prefer to hear about your old bottles, though I remain open to (hetero)sex in the dark.

--------------------Harry Pristis [8|]

FOOTNOTES:

One of those conventions is that self-disclosure has a norm of reciprocity. People who give details about themselves and receive none in return are likely to feel affronted. Concomitantly, self-disclosure imposes on the listener an implied demand (for sympathy or for reciprocal disclosure), and the demand may not be welcome.

Another convention is that pairs of females disclose to each other more than pairs of males do. This is consistent with my earlier post about "Rapport vs. Report" talk.

Research suggests that men who do disclose intimate details to strangers are disliked more than women who do so. (from) Kleinke, C.L. and Kahn, C.L. 1980: Perceptions of self-disclosers: effects of sex and physical attractiveness. Journal of Personality 48, 190-205.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Research suggests that men who do disclose intimate details to strangers are disliked more than women who do so.

I don't know Harry..... I'm pretty sure I would like you even though I now know you are open to hetero sex in the dark. Why? Cause you make me laugh! I truely believe you are one intelligent human being. I also believe you have a line of B.S. as long as the Nile river. Keep um coming, it's been awhile since I've used my dictionary this much, or had this much fun! [:D] Happy Diggin, Kelley

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I am sure that we would get along just fine, Kelley, despite my openness to meaningless (hetero)sex. I am impressed that you understood the point.

More important, your response is a fine example of manly "Report talk," as in:

For most men, talk is primarily a means to preserve independence and negotiate and maintain status in a hierarchical social order. This is done by exhibiting knowledge and skill, and by holding center stage through verbal performance such as storytelling, joking, or imparting information. From childhood, men learn to use talking as a way to get and keep attention. So, men are more comfortable speaking in larger groups made up of people they know less well--in the broadest sense, public speaking or report talk.

Way to go, Kelley and Norm!

-----------------Harry Pristis [;)]

bigkitty53

Reaction score
As always,Harry found an interesting article to further fuel a thread,don't know how you do it Harry! As a male,I found that study particularly interesting.Here I thought this was a case of 'bonding' accross the board.As Norm observed,there's something 'different' about those of us who dig/dive up old junk.From that surely a comraderie develops?A curiousity about other collectors we've read about or corresponded with?Preditor's request for hometown photos,someone else,( I can't remember who) suggesting member's posting a picture of themself in their profiles?Perhaps knowing the majority of us will never meet RL we are being more free with personal info,I don't know.
As I said,interesting article Harry.(Or was that a means of posting to this thread without giving up your age?[;)]Just kidding!

KAT

p.s.Just went 36 last week

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
As always,Harry found an interesting article to further fuel a thread,don't know how you do it Harry! -----bigkitty53

I thought I might let that slide, but I think it's better to tell you up front that Harry doesn't simply find interesting articles, Harry writes them.

-------------Harry Pristis

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause