Huge Find 5/29

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
That thought crossed my mind Pat, but I don't think it was the case.. whoever left the bottles there must not have known how good some of them are, or else they simply wouldn't leave them there.. and they definitely would not load up 55 gal drums knowing full well there would be casualties in the process.. sounds to me like a 'let's just get them out of our way' scenario..

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Inspiring story! What're the chances you guys happened to find that awesome haul just waiting for you? And I agree, no chance those were put there by bottle collectors... Nobody would be so idiotic as to leave awesome bottles like that unattended, and no bottle collector would've allowed bottles to break like that!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Hey Pat,
If they thought they were valuable they obviously wouldn't have left them lying around. According to the landowner the tenants moved out after a house fire and took their stuff, so whatever was left became the landowners. He apparently didn't care about the bottles, and the tenants didn't care to lug them along. I'd say we just got paid in bottles to take "junk" out of his backyard.

creeper71

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: OsiaBoyce

Sometime in the near future, someone is going to say...." Some damn body has done stole our bottles.............we had them in these 55 gal. drums....damn, it just goes to show you can't leave anything anywhere."

I mean why would anyone put old bottles in a drum unless they had plans to do something w/ them?

Why would a constuction worker do it? Would he think........."Ya know,I bet these bottles are worth quite a bit of money. I think I'll put them in these drums and wait for someone to come by and get them.........I don't need the money, I'll just use my time and effort for someone elses benefit."

1870s-1890s bottles just lying there? How did that happen, I have bottles that are outside for two or three years and they get covered over w/ grass and leaves.

I guess I just look at thing differently than the rest of ya.

Is this different that the chain saw?
Some people will not agree with me, but If you want the bottles that "you" put in a barrel then you would be back to get them in a few hours or few days at max.. To let bottles in a barrel all winter to break from thaw an refreeze mean you don't give 2 craps about the "worthless"bottles an if someone finds them then let those "suckers" remove the "worthless" bottles

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
House fire huh? I had one of those in 98............took me three years before I had a place to put my bottles. I left them under a friends shed for close to four years.

I tell ya, I'm damn glad I don't live around any of yall, and to have had a landlord such as that. I'd be bottleless for sure.

Talking about cold and self serving logic.

I'd bet my left nut there is more to this story than what we are hearing. I'd also be willing to bet that no one told the people who had the housefire that their bottles were fixing to be given/carted away. Did you or anyone make any attempt to see if they wanted their bottles back or just went by what your friend or the landlord said?

"Oh look, they left there keys in their car..........that must mean they want someone to drive it off."

Then I guess it's a North/South kinda thing.........maybe not but, I know if there is something of value and it's not mine.....................................

Then maybe it's the age difference between me being 53 and you being 23. Age makes you look at things a bit differently.[;)]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
..or maybe you weren't there and don't know enough to speculate on this, ...Sir... [8|]

Penn Digger

Reaction score
I see a new mini-series in all of this, "Bait Bottles." LOL I agree, if the people who put them in the bins really wanted them or thought they had any value they wouldn't have left them there. Who here ever dug a nice collectible bottle and left it on site thinking I will come back and get it later? Don't think so....

PD

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
With all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about. You should keep your motto about fools and wise men in mind. I happen to have a motto as well. If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all. You've offended and insulted me, and to what end?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229