I salute you Mr. Bottle Digging Man (please read and reply)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dirtflicker

Reaction score
At a time when bottle digging is fading and metal detecting reins
supreme...we as bottle diggers stay the course. We use probes, shovels and scratchers to find concentrations of old trash. We dig through lung contaminating ash, asbestos, and decomposed waste in search of that rare bottle worth thousands...or do we? I think Some of us just like the thrill of the hunt? I feel it takes a certain creative personality and a massive passion for history to persue the hobby of digging for old bottles. Hobby I say? It may be a
hobby for some, a passion for others, and even an obsession for most(like me). I guess what my ramblings are trying to point out is that with out us bottle diggers...a lot of history would remain lost to time forever. Just think about how many bottles a year we, as bottle diggers (treasure hunters) save from permanent extinction...weather it be from construction, or developement, or just plain time itself. This is why I salute you...the bottle digger...to save historical items is like saving history itself...even if it is only for the brief second you excavate that bottle or artifact. The next time you dig a bottle, common or rare, think about the last person who may have held that item...chances are that person has long passed this world. I wonder what he or she would think? So you need to ask yourself this...is it a hobby.....a passion.....or an obsession. No matter what your answer is...you are a savior of history....and should be recognized for it! Happy 4th of July my fellow diggers.

DF

CanadianBoy

Reaction score
Good stuff, I guess its one of those.....if it makes you feel good ...do it!!!!!

Its made me feel good for about 40 years, there's just something about unearthing things from the ground.
Its like the pot at the end of the rainbow, you just have to find out what it contains.

dirtflicker

Reaction score
Totally true Dave......you just gotta love the whole concept of digging the past.......It's a total thrill![;)]

capsoda

Reaction score
Yeap, A hobby, passion and obsession. You and evry other American have a happy 4th of July.

For those of you in other countries, have a day of peace and good digging.

Oh yeah, And post lots of pics of what you find.[:)]

Jim

Reaction score
Right on, DF! There are many rare bottles that would not even be known of if it were not for people like us. With every passing year, more and more locations are developed/demolished/permanently covered and without us, all of those historical treasures would be lost forever. Jim

Bixel

Reaction score
For me, its a hobby, passion and an obsession.

Happy 4th of July to those South of the border, and Happy 1st of July to those North of the border, like me!

JGUIS

Reaction score
It has definately become more than a hobby for me. I just wish I would've known back then. O' to be a stupid teenager again.[:)] Happy 4th everyone, be safe.[;)]

madman

Reaction score
man i try to buy bottles, but its just not the same, im definately obsessed with digs, love when i get into that meat layer hey dirt i salute you brother!!!! and a happy 4th to all mike

bearswede

Reaction score
Happy 4th of July to those South of the border, and Happy 1st of July to those North of the border, like me!

I thought Mexico was south of the border...ROR!!!!

Happy Independence Day to all... however, whenever, wherever you celibrate it!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology