I salute you Mr. Bottle Digging Man (please read and reply)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lexdigger

Reaction score
Thanks. Around my area I don't think the archies are even interested in bottles. If they were, there are surely alot of sites that I'd see them on? I've only been digging for less than a year and a half but I've yet to run into them on any site. Here's a look at what I've been working against for the past month or so. Luckily we got to these privies before the backhoes and bulldozers did!!! If you look close you'll see one of my plastic Mt. Dew bottles sticking out of the dirt LOL. Chris Capley

89CE70A3DF4D45A484CF42A00BF98A48.jpg

Attachments

• 89CE70A3DF4D45A484CF42A00BF98A48.jpg
    89CE70A3DF4D45A484CF42A00BF98A48.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 64

dirtflicker

Reaction score
Chris....I see your Mountain Dew bottle in the lower left hand corner of the pic......FUNNY!!! If that were my digging area, you would find a bunch of Bud cans/bottles sticking out!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

lexdigger

Reaction score
LOL. I usually put Mt. Dew, Gatoraid, and Water bottles in the bottom of every privy I dig. I figure that way when the dozers move in I'll be able to tell which ones I dug and which ones I haven't. Sometimes they uncover holes we overlooked or just didn't want to invest the time into because the age wasn't there. Chris Capley

dirtflicker

Reaction score
Thats a very smart tactic Chris.......I like your style man........you think things out....I do the same thing dude........

DF

bearswede

Reaction score
the way they dig.

Archeology is a social science... The artifacts by themselves aren't as useful as artifacts in context, in relation to the other artifacts with which they were deposited... Because of natural and cultural disturbances, only careful excavation of a site will reveal which artifacts belong with which...

It all comes down to money for research and usually only the "biggest" and "best" attract the dough, while the many smaller but in the larger scheme of things, more significant in terms of understanding social process, go begging...

Certainly, salvaging artifacts from sites about to be bulldozed is better than having them destroyed... But in order for having the best shot at advancing our knowledge of how human beings operate and organize themselves over time, we need to support what archeologists are trying to do...

Ron

dirtflicker

Reaction score
Archeology is a social science

Ron, there was no pun intended. I was merely stating the fact that archaeologists dig quite a bit slower than us [for good reason]...but they can becasue if they are interested in a site, they can stop the construction if necessary to do an excavation. I know quite a lot of archaeologists, and they are all pretty good guys and gals....I studied geology in college and took some classes on archaeology as well...so I definately have NO chips on my shoulder for archies! NOT YET ANYWAY[;)]

DF

bearswede

Reaction score
No problem, DF...

Hey, did you see Robert's (BOTLDGOR3) posts about having problems viewing your vids?... I'm not sure how to help him, maybe you can figure it out?

Happy FOURTH!

Ron

dirtflicker

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bearswede

Hey, did you see Robert's (BOTLDGOR3) posts about having problems viewing your vids?... I'm not sure how to help him, maybe you can figure it out?

Ron, I just PM'd Robert and gave him some instruction on how to download the vid's....HAPPY 4th TO YOU BUDDY!

DF

lexdigger

Reaction score
Archeology is a social science...

I don't have a problem with any archeologist. I know quite a few from the University of Ky. Most of the construction sites I dig on sit idle for a long time before they start bulldozing it up. They could very easily get on these sites and have enough time to dig a privy or two. I think the reason they don't do much with bottles and historic sites in general is because there are so many native american sites here in Ky. for them to dig. I still think it would be a good learning experience for the students to dig some historic stuff every now and then. With all the stuff that's in an undug privy you can get a pretty good profile of the people who used it. Chris Capley

bearswede

Reaction score
I agree with you 100% Chris...

Archeology began as a study of the Classic societies... then moved on to prehistory... It wasn't until the mid-20th century that contemporary/modern society drew interest by archeologists, culminating in the excavation of present-day trash heaps...

Ron

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers