Ice Blue Moxie Nerve Food w/ Fluted Lip

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I know this is old but I felt like reviving it with a question and answer.
Nice bottle too!!
Sam_MaineBottles, I thought the F&D act might have done that too (last post). I just noticed a bottle with Trademark and Registered on one. I believe Moxie was trademarked in 1924. I couldn't see if it was ABM. I'm still trying to find out when the Nerve Food ended. Maybe I'll have to spring a ton of $$$ for the Moxie Encyclopedia. Either hope I can find a library with it.
Anyone come up with something since this?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
That is a rare Moxie bottle. I have seen one sell for $259 a couple years ago. It's listed in my medicine book. The lip use is a mystery to me, may have been a prototype for some closure that didnt catch on. Its an early bottle.

capsoda

Reaction score
Wow, Thats a really odd closure for that type bottle. I have seen it on bottles that held nitroglycerine. It had a cork that was held in place by a twisted wire.

What did they put in that stuff.[&:]

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hi Folks -

The moxie thread still lives! Since I posted the first message I've slowly been adding Moxie Nerve Food bottles to my collection. I have over 20 variations on my list and have 15 bottles all told. Five different lip types: flared ring, 'doughnut' blob, Baltimore loop blob, sloping collar and crown top. They're all BIM. I've got a feeling that there aren't any Nerve Food bottles that are ABM but I could be wrong. Some have Patented, some have Trade Mark, some have Lowell Mass or various combinations of those. Base embossings add another dimension to the varieties: letters, numbers, dots, stars. The only one I have that says just Moxie Nerve Food is a crown top - go figure. It's been kinda fun seeing how many variations are out there. Now I'd like to add some of the Western (Chicago and Denver) ones to the collection but they're not found in this neck of the woods.

Later - Sam

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I just bought one to research. It's a crown top trade mark. I also found this pic online. I wish I could find the link to it now. I like the hutches.

Nl30292.jpg

Attachments

• Nl30292.jpg
    Nl30292.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 75

monalisa

Reaction score
Hey Sam,

I am pretty sure that is the lip used from the 1870's era before Moxie was carbonated. It was a "health" syrup until it was carbonated in the early 1880's + or - a year here or there.

Mike

beendiggin

Reaction score
Sam, that is really cool! Wish I knew something about it, to me it looks like a back bar top or dispenser type top. I'm anxious to see what else you bought. You said the show is in Portland this year? Is that for sure? How's the medicine book coming?

johnbell

Reaction score
http://kingston.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-art-collectibles-Vintage-Moxie-Nerve-Food-Crate-Soda-Pop-New-England-W0QQAdIdZ406957406

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson