Identify bottles in photo?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks, Leon

I said earlier that I was reserving comment until later - which I would like to do now. Even though I am not entirely sure when Coors' used this particular label, most of what I have seen claim it was used around 1919. I realize that hatchet feels the photo was taken around 1915 or 1916, but because that has not been confirmed with 100% certainty, I believe it allows some leeway that the photo was possibly taken later than 1915 or 1916. I also realize that the label in the photo appears to be diagonal, and that this particular Coors' label is rectangle, but it isn't so much the shape that attracts my interest about this Coors's label as it is the placement of the circle logo in relation to the words on either side of circle logo. The words I'm referring to are "Coors-Golden" - which I think MIGHT be on either side of the circle logo in the photo but are partially "washed out" I fully acknowledge that my observations are based entirely on guesswork - but it is the best I can come up with based on the currently available information. If I'm wrong, and I probably am, I will gladly stand corrected. I only have one rule when it comes to this sort of thing - which is "No hitting with sticks or other blunt objects" ;)

Coors Paper Label (2).jpg

Beer Bottle Forum.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Bonus Round

(or should I say "Bogus Round")

Coors Paper Label Bottle Described 1919.jpg

Coors Quality Brew Tray.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
hatchet

I hope you don't mind that I hijacked your thread and bombarded it with a lot of wild stuff, and apologize if I went too far outside of the box, but the majority of my observations and comments were primarily based on the years you attributed to when you believe the photo was taken - which you narrowed down to around 1915 or 1916. Even though those years may very well be accurate, in order to narrow it down even more with a greater measure of certainty, I highly recommend that you take it to a photography expert who should be able to tell you, based on the type of paper, etc; exactly when it was taken. Its not that I doubt your estimation, but rather that I have learned from personal experience that we can sometimes be mistaken about certain things no matter how overwhelming the circumstantial evidence may seem. An example of this involved a photograph I have of my parents that I was certain was taken in the mid 1940s. But as it turned out it was taken in the late 1950s. I won't bore you with the details as to how it was determined to be from the late 1950s, other than to say it was my older brother who finally figured it out. Although I can't say for certain, I suspect a photo expert won't charge you to examine it. If he or she knows their stuff they should be able to tell you lickety-split when it was taken - maybe? ;)

Anyhoo, this pretty much concludes my participation because I have hit a dead-end and can't think of anything that I haven't already contributed. I also want to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your photo - there is nothing I like better than a good bottle mystery.

Bob

SODABOB

Reaction score
My Final Analyst / Inconclusive / Possible?

I'm not sure when this particular Coors label was used but trying my best to find out

Beer Bottle Label Forum hatchet Nov 2020.jpg
Coors Golden Paper Label Black and White.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
The Plot Thickens ...

I know I said I was calling it quits, and apologize for any confusion, but a recent discovery might shed some light on this discussion that will be of interest. Even though this still centers on my belief that the Coors Golden Quality Brew label might be the same label in hatchet's photo, which I acknowledge is inconclusive, I am seeing some indications that Coors Golden Quality Brew was some type of near beer or soft drink and not a real beer. As you can see in the attached ad from 1928 it is listed along with Nehi as a leading drink. As we know, Prohibition was in full effect in 1928 and would not end until 1933. Also notice that the ad was published in a Kansas newspaper. If you do a quick Google search you will see where Kansas had one of the longest periods of Prohibition in the country. And yet, I have seen similar ads like this in Kansas newspapers as late as 1930. Similar ads appear in other states during the same time period, including Iowa and California. I selected this particular ad because it was the earliest one I could find. It is also interesting that Colorado and Kansas border one another.

Coors Golden Quality Brew_The_Catholic_Advance_Wichita Kansas_Sat__Dec_22__1928_.jpg

hatchet

Reaction score
@SODABOB - I appreciate all your work. I think there may be too many options (so many labels back then...way more than I imagined!) and the image to poor. I would feel bad if you put more time into it after how much you've done. Although there's not solid answer, the suggestions have been helpful. I got hold of a lower power microscope (my magnifier wasn't strong enough). Through that, the emblem looks like a butte against distant mountains, with trees on either side of the butte. It didn't photograph well, but it's a tiny bit better than my scan I'm attaching before closing out. It may be more fruitful to try and ID the people in the photo. I know who one of them is, so his apparent age, plus the characteristics of the photo in context to all the other 500+ photos in the collection makes me confident the photo is pre-prohibition. Unfortunately the one person in the photo I know the identity of lived back east, but was a part owner of the ranch, so he could be in either place. Thanks for the help everybody.
20201118_110314_HDR_edited s.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks, hatchet. I agree - lots of possibilities. I got hung up on Coors because ...

1. It was a Colorado brand
2. The circle logo looked similar
3. The bold words below the logo
4. Long neck, aqua bottle
5. Etc; etc.

You never said if the photo was taken inside or outside, such as a picnic outing. If it was a picnic, the bottles might have been put on ice, which might have effected the labels, which might explain the distortion. ( Lots of "might's" ) :rolleyes:

Regarding the time period, I will leave-off with this snippet from 1917 - which appeared in about a dozen different states at the same time.

Thanks, again - it was a fun ride while it lasted

Bob

Coors Golden Brew_Great_Falls_Tribune_Montana_Tue__Mar_13__1917.jpg

timeandabottle

Reaction score
I'm trying to date a photo and confirm it's location, and I thought identifying the bottles in the photo might help. Don't laugh - I already know this is a real longshot, but on the off chance someone recognizes the bottles, that would be extremely useful information for me. I believe the photo was taken circa 1916, and I think it was taken in western Colorado, near the Ouray/Ridgway area. Below are closeups of some of the bottles (empties). They appear to have a somewhat distinctive diagonal label. The writing is illegible and only a hint of the logo is apparent, as they are just beyond the quality of the photo. Also in the photo was someone drinking from a bottle but it's blurry. The contents were a medium amber. I'm assuming they are beer bottles, but I could well be wrong.

View attachment 214053View attachment 214054
I have this Pabst blue ribbon that looks close. It’s dated June 30, 1906. The shape of the bottle is different though.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads