Identify bottles in photo?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hatchet

Reaction score
@SODABOB - that Regal label looks quite close. That's a good find. Apparently it had a short run, being newly introduced in 1914, and Utah Brewing Co. was reported to be closed by 1917. But that still overlaps the date of 1916, when I think my photo was taken. Thanks for finding that!

SODABOB

Reaction score
hatchet

Please note that Regal Lager was produced by the Salt Lake City Brewing Co. and not the Utah Brewing Co. I didn't fully research either company, but according to the 1911 newspaper article, the Salt Lake City Brewing Co. was established in 1871. As near as I can determine, Regal Lager was only produced between 1914 and 1917 - which I'm thinking is a coincidence related to the Utah Brewing Co. I'm attaching a pdf about the Salt Lake City Brewing Co. from 1911 that may be of interest to you.

I thought this ad from 1914 was interesting - it depicts Regal Lager and Fisher Beer side-by-side which was how the ad appeared and not something I created. Speaking of Fisher Beer, the attachments for them are Pre Prohibition and show examples of their bottle and labels. Please note I have seen numerous variations of their label and not entirely sure which labels were used when - other than the 1910 letterhead should give a good idea for that particular year.

Regal and Fisher Beer_Goodwin_s_Weekly__A_Thinking_Paper_for_Thinking_People_Salt Lake City Ut...jpg

Fisher Beer 1910 Document.jpg

Fisher Brewing Label Pre Prohibition.jpg

Fisher Beer Pre Prohibition.jpg

Footnote:

Even though the Regal Larger bottle and label are similar to the bottle and label in the photo, how are we ever going to know for certain whether they are just similar or an identical match? I don't know the answer at the moment, but will do my best to see if I can find out.

Attachments

• Salt Lake Brewing_Salt_Lake_Telegram_Sat__Jul_15__1911_.pdf
    390.5 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

hatchet

Reaction score
Yes, you are right. I got sidetracked on a unrelated beer story while searching, and the Utah Brewing Co got stuck in my head.
A turn of the century write-up of Salt Lake City Brewing talked about it's capacity and that it shipped to several state in the west, including Colorado.
If you search Colorado newspapers in the 1915-1918 period for beer adds, you mostly find adds for brew at home, and stories about the beer amendment that tried (and failed) to get an exemption for beer from the state prohibition. One of the arguments for the amendment was that beer wasn't really alcoholic.

SODABOB

Reaction score
hatchet

I looked for ads and articles for Regal Lager in every state that borders Colorado, including Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Wyoming, and could not find where Regal Lager or Regal Beer was advertised or even mentioned. Even though I may have missed something, it appears to me that Regal Lager was exclusive to Utah, and specifically to Salt Lake City - although it is highly likely that their distribution territory extended beyond Salt Lake City into various, smaller communities.

If the bottle in your photo is indeed a Regal Lager bottle, then it appears to me there is some major distortion going on, such as the bold words Regal Lager being washed out due a lighting factor such as sun glare, or possibly some other factor we are not aware of. The part I like best is the circle logo, which seem to have a LOT of similarities. ???

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Ever since I tapped into this discussion I have looked at hundreds of pre prohibition beer labels and without exception the brand names were clearly visible on the labels - most of which were in bold print. However, no matter how close I look at or enhance the label in the photo, I cannot see anything that is a clear indication of the brand. The only bold word or words on the bottle in the photo are those below the circle logo. Although inconclusive, I am inclined to believe the bold word or words are indeed the brand name and not just a slogan or some other form of wording. Even though we may never know for certain, I honestly believe the answer to identifying the brand is contained in the bold word or words, but is distorted for some as yet unknown reason.

SODABOB

Reaction score
This is what I call a X-20 clarity enhancement - which washes out everything that isn't bold. I am still studying it and will reserve comment until later - but will say I am seeing some "stuff" that I didn't see earlier.

Beer Bottle Forum Paper Label Enhanced .jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Just for the fun of it here are the X-20 clarity enhancements for the Regal Lager label ...

From a 1915 Newspaper Ad

Regal Lager_The_Eureka_Reporter_Eureka Utah_Fri__Feb_19__1915 Enhanced.jpg

From the actual label I posted earlier

Regal Lager Salt Lake City Utah Pre Probition Enhanced .jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Just for the record, here are three variations of Coors' Pre Prohibition labels X-20 (wash out) ...

Coors Label Pre Prohibition X 20.jpg

Coors Paper Label Pre Prohibition X 20.jpg

Coors  Paper Label X-20 Pre Prohibition.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
One more for the road - hatchet's photo X-20 Cropped ...

Beer Bottle Forum Paper Label Enhanced Cropped.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
When I mentioned Fisher I was just going by Memory, I know many years ago when I seen the pre pro Fisher label it had a similar Circle, just couldn't remember where the circle was located on the label. I'm guessing a label from surrounding states of Colorado could be considered fair game if Colorado proves to illusive? LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen