Identify bottles in photo?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hatchet

Reaction score
I'm trying to date a photo and confirm it's location, and I thought identifying the bottles in the photo might help. Don't laugh - I already know this is a real longshot, but on the off chance someone recognizes the bottles, that would be extremely useful information for me. I believe the photo was taken circa 1916, and I think it was taken in western Colorado, near the Ouray/Ridgway area. Below are closeups of some of the bottles (empties). They appear to have a somewhat distinctive diagonal label. The writing is illegible and only a hint of the logo is apparent, as they are just beyond the quality of the photo. Also in the photo was someone drinking from a bottle but it's blurry. The contents were a medium amber. I'm assuming they are beer bottles, but I could well be wrong.

beer1.jpg
beer2.jpg

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
I'm trying to date a photo and confirm it's location, and I thought identifying the bottles in the photo might help. Don't laugh - I already know this is a real longshot, but on the off chance someone recognizes the bottles, that would be extremely useful information for me. I believe the photo was taken circa 1916, and I think it was taken in western Colorado, near the Ouray/Ridgway area. Below are closeups of some of the bottles (empties). They appear to have a somewhat distinctive diagonal label. The writing is illegible and only a hint of the logo is apparent, as they are just beyond the quality of the photo. Also in the photo was someone drinking from a bottle but it's blurry. The contents were a medium amber. I'm assuming they are beer bottles, but I could well be wrong.
Here you go: http://www.bobkaybeerlabels.com/usnf.htm
Get to lookin'. ;)

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
They look like tooled lip crown tops, so 1916 could be about right for those, especially if they had been in use for several years already. That style of diagonal beer label was very common around that time, so identifying that is a lot tougher.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Any friends in the police, FBI, or photo editing world with software to improve the image beyond the capability of normal editing programs?

hatchet

Reaction score
I tried Topaz Gigapixel AI, but it didn't help much. It's a small area of a small, 3"x2" photo. So not a lot to work with.

hatchet

Reaction score
You were provided a link above for an index of beer labels. GO LOOK through them. Good research requires personal effort.
Yes. I did look at them. All of them. And did not find a match. I understand the need for research effort. 4 years ago we received over 500 photos taken between 1900 to 1920 by two family members (both long dead) and handed down to us. They include Arizona, Montana, Colorado, Pennsylvania, New York, and a few other places. Most are of places, not people, especially scenes of mining, ranching, and railroads. Less than 10 had something written on them. During the past 4 years of research we were able to identify nearly exact locations and dates to all but a handful. I've recently been reaching out to people knowledgeable about certain aspects of those remaining tough ones, and with other folks' help (for which I'm extremely grateful) have been able to solve about half of those so far. When finished researching them, we're donating the lot to a university library, and have already provided digital copies of some of them to the National Park Service and local historical societies in counties where a lot of photos were taken.

Last edited:

embe

Reaction score
If someone had one in their collection they might immediately recognize the label without the zoom/pixelated issues, so sometimes asking is the more direct route (at least in my experience). Welcome to the site by the way

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen