Identify bottles in photo?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks, Leon - I agree - similar but not identical - I'm just considering various possibilities. Whatever the brand might be in the photo, the key part for me isn't so much the circle logo but the bold word or words below the logo - which appear to be four individual words such as a slogan and not just a single word. If we can figure out what those words are we might be able to date and identify the brand. My best guess at the moment is something like ...

of a ??? ????

And would be cool if it turned to be something like "Its The Water" by Olympia beer

This Miller label is not identical either - Its just another Pre Prohibition label for consideration from 1915

Miller High Life Label  Comparison.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
the last word on label in original pic looks like either Beer or Lager?

hatchet

Reaction score
Way off. Original Poster suspected it's a Colorado area bottle, not New York? Maybe Telluride? Century? Silver State?
I strongly suspect it was taken in Colorado, but I'm not 100% sure. I was hoping that the label would match a Colorado (or neighboring state) beer to confirm what I suspect is the case. The person that took the photo had a ranch in western Colorado from 1915 or 1916 to 1918. He moved back east in 1918 to train as a naval aviator. He stayed back east after that. Initially I had thought the photo was from after 1918 after he had moved back east. Then on closer inspection I saw a saddle with rope (see photo) in the background of the photo. That made me think it was earlier, from the time he was in Colorado, because that item in the background didn't match the sort of things he was doing in the east. But it's not definitive.

The answer that had the info about prohibition in Colorado was interesting and very helpful. I hadn't known that. If this does turn out to be taken in Colorado, then that would suggest a photo date of 1915/1916 (assuming they didn't get their hands on illegal refreshments).
saddle.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
hatchet

Thanks for the info. The attached snippets might also shed some light on things. By the way, would it be possible to see the entire photograph? There might be something in it that will catch someone's eye and change the course of this discussion.

National

Prohibition Beer Consumption Legal.jpg

Colorado

Prohibition in Colorado 1916 1933.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
I know we have been down this road before and pretty much discounted Coors as being a possible match, but there are a couple of features about the Coors label I wanted to revisit and see if there might be something we are missing. The one feature more than anything else that keeps haunting me is the mountain on the label - especially on the right side where the mountain slope is curved. I placed arrows on the area I am referring to. Another aspect (but not specifically indicated in these images) is what I call clouds/shadowing that surround the circle logo. Those so called cloud-shadows seem to be on the labels in the original photograph - but acknowledge they could be an optical illusion. Speaking of optical illusions, I can't help but wonder if the lighting / sunlight factor in the photo had a tendency to wash-out some of the details?

Beer Bottle Forum hatchet November 2020 Arrow.jpg

Beer Label Comparison Coors.png

Beer Bottle Forum Paper Label.jpg
Coors  Paper Label Bottle Black & White.jpg

hatchet

Reaction score
I know we have been down this road before and pretty much discounted Coors as being a possible match...
That was my thought too, and before posting here, that's where I spent the most time. The blurry writing looked like it could be something like "A.B. Coors Lager". The writing looked like two initials, then a small word, then a larger word. But AB Coors is, I think, a modern name. The founder was Adolph Herman Coors.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks, hatchet - every little bit helps. I hate to admit it, but I am close to throwing in the towel and conceding defeat in being able to solve this mystery. However, I am not giving up just yet and switching my focus to brands of beer that were specific to Colorado. Even though I am still working on this and it will take some time to put together, the following are the brands that were highly advertised in Colorado between 1900 and 1920. I have found bottles and labels for some of them, but still need to find some more before making a final analyst. Of all the brands listed here, I like Zang's the best. As seen on their pre prohibition tray, they used a variety of bottles and labels - some of which had diagonal labels. But what I like even better is the fact that their primary logo was a mountain in a circle - which also has a Christian cross. Even though the odds of Zang being the brand in the photo is slim, I suppose it's as good as any that's worthy of consideration - especially when you take into account the photo is blurred and the details might be misleading due to the light factor possibly playing tricks on our eyes. Anyway, here's the list - which I will be adding to as time allows.

Note: There were also a lot of National brands sold in Colorado at the time, but I'm leaving those out and focusing only on those brewed and bottled in Colorado.

Capitol
C. A. Lammers
Columbine
Coors
La Fiesta
Telluride
Tivoli
Vienna Export
Walter's
Zepher

Zang's

Zang Beer Tray Colorado.jpg

Zang's Brewing Denver Colo Business Card Date Unknown But Early 1900s.jpg

Zang's Columbine Beer Bottle Denver Colorado circa 1920.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
Look into Fisher Brewing co. Salt Lake City Utah?

SODABOB

Reaction score
hemi

Here are some typical Fisher beer labels - with the majority I have seen being identical or similar. Most of the examples I saw had a circle logo on them, but the circles were always on the bottom and not the top.

Beer Labels Fisher Salt Lake Utah.jpg

However ...

Your suggestion about Utah beers caused me to look at other brands from that state - which produced the following ...

Beer Regal Lager_Salt_Lake_Telegram_Utah_Fri__May_29__1914.jpg

Beer Bottle Forum Paper Label.jpg
Beer Regal Lager Salt Lake City Utah Pre Probition Bottle.jpg

Beer Regal Lager Salt Lake City Utah Pre Probition.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
All 3 of those Fishers appear to be post prohibition from 1930's & 40's. Wonder what a pre pro Fisher may look like. That Regal looks Closer. hmm. LEON.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26