L@@KING FOR G.C. GLASS CODE INFO

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And here's the base of the wood bottle pictured above. Notice it is from Owens-Illinois. I'm not sure of the date or any other specifics about it, but I intend to do a little research and see what I can find.

13E7F5418B494ECC8BC77B2BCDA5B446.jpg

Attachments

• 13E7F5418B494ECC8BC77B2BCDA5B446.jpg
    13E7F5418B494ECC8BC77B2BCDA5B446.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 69

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~

It just now dawned on me that Beer probably wouldn't be referred to as a "Beverage" as the base label on the wooden bottle indicates. But I could be wrong about that, too. ??? I'm sure I or someone else will have a definite answer to this shortly.

By the way, I sure could use some help here with examples of more GC numbers. I know it sucks looking at the bases of a jillion bottles, I don't particularily like doing it either. But when you get the time and inclination, please share with us what you have.

Thanks a lot.

Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's a list of everything I can think of related to the numbers/letters/etc that can be found embossed on the bases/heels/shoulders of most acl soda bottles ... which in most instances would be directly related to the mold/cavity/etc. With emphasis placed on the GC numbers/letters fitting in somewhere.

1. Brand
2. Registration/Patent Info.
3. Makers Mark
4. City/State
5. Date
6. Plant/Factory Designation/Location
7. Style/Design
8. Color
9. Size/Ounces
10. Mold Specifics
11. ACL Specifics
12. Stippling
13. Misc/Etc/?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Since I have not communicated with anyone associated with the "Bottle Research Group" (BRG) for about a year, I decided to contact Bill Lockhart and see if he or anyone else in the organization had any updated information regarding the Glass Containers (GC) numbers/codes. As it turned out, Bill shared the following with me. Please note there are still some gaps to be filled and that Bill and others are working on it from time to time as new evidence presents itself.

Based on what the BRG knows to date, the following should serve to assist collectors who have and are interested in soda bottles marked with the somewhat mysterious entwined GC ...

Reminder: The following is in part the result of hands-on research and in part likey possibilities. In othere words, "Guess Work."

1. If there is a single-digit number to the right of the GC logo, it is "probably" a date code. However, the single-digit number will not necessarily tell us what decade. For example: A 3 could be for either 1943, 1953, 1963.

2. The older bottles have the GC mark and a four-digit number, plus a single-digit number underneath it . (Note: My "30 Below" is a perfect example of this). It is a guess and guess only that the single-digit number is a date code. (Thus, I'm "guessing" the 3 on my "30 Below" is either for 1933 or 1943).

3. The four-digit numbers on the older bottles (Like on my "30 Below") are "virtually certain" to be model numbers for that particular bottle.

4. However, it is "possible" that the lower single-digit 3 is a mold number of some kind. More hands-on research is required to determine this with certainty.

5. GC bottles made after the 1968 acquistion of the Knox Glass Co. used single "letters" to indicate plant codes/locations. Which, I am assuming, would suggest that the "A" on my 8 oz Pepsi Cola bottle would stand for the Antioch, California plant.

6. It is highly possible (but not confirmed) that true date numbers/codes were not used until sometime during the 1940s. Thus, any GC bottle prior to about 1940 probably did not have a date number/code.

The next thing I intend to do is more closely examine the GC bottles in my collection, compare them to the information above, and then report back here with my findings however inconconclusive it might be at this present time.

All things considered, I'd say we are definitely making some progress now. Its just a bummer, without company records to support things, that research like this sometimes has to rely on a certain measure of guesswork.

My thanks go out to Bill Lockhart in particular and to all members of the BRG for your continued efforts to assist bottle collectors worldwide. You are a true credit to the hobby.

Sincerely,

Bob

P.S. ~ I'll be back!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~ P.S.

I wish to point out the above information has never been published/shared/posted or otherwise made available to the general public yet that I am aware of. So I recommend to anyone who is interested in using it in connection with their own GC bottles, that they save / copy-paste it in an email to yourself / or in some way keep track of this thread, as you are likely not going to find it elsewhere. And even though it is still somewhat inconclusive, I believe it is is the best information currently available on the GC makers marks. Courtesy of Bill Lockhart and the Bottle Research Group.

And please be reminded you saw it here first on Antique-Bottles.net ...

"The Best Bottle Website On The Internet"

Leslie

Reaction score
I have two 3 and 1/2 inch amber bottles heart shaped with a depressed heart on the front They were in my cottage in NJ for many years. They have the angular GC mark in the middle. Does anyone know when they might have been made and what they were used for?

Des. Pat.

G
S C 0

Des. Pat

G
S C 1

there is additional stamp below but illegible. Tried to upload a picture but file was too big.....

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Leslie

I have two 3 and 1/2 inch amber bottles heart shaped with a depressed heart on the front They were in my cottage in NJ for many years. They have the angular GC mark in the middle. Does anyone know when they might have been made and what they were used for?

Des. Pat.

G
S C 0

Des. Pat

G
S C 1

there is additional stamp below but illegible. Tried to upload a picture but file was too big.....
Feel free to e,ail me the pics and I'll post them for you... Jim epackage@msn.com

epackage

Reaction score
Here are the bottles Leslie was asking about...

C9CFCFBAAE504DFA9F51FC58BE6866EC.jpg

Attachments

• C9CFCFBAAE504DFA9F51FC58BE6866EC.jpg
    C9CFCFBAAE504DFA9F51FC58BE6866EC.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 70

epackage

Reaction score
Leslie these are Paul Masson wine bottles...

2F308CB12F6B439FB21B53A44FE86F52.jpg

Attachments

• 2F308CB12F6B439FB21B53A44FE86F52.jpg
    2F308CB12F6B439FB21B53A44FE86F52.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 69

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member